Tuesday, July 6, 2010

# 700 Posting


I Thessalonians 5:8
But let us, who are of the day, be SOBER, putting on the breastplate of faith
and love, and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Be sober.
Be clearheaded.
Be discreet.
Be vigilant.
These are not attitudes and behaviors done under the influence.
Yet, here in Scripture, God calls us to let these be character traits that define the work of the
Holy Spirit in us.

I like how the verse starts.
It defines who we are...
We are (having been saved) children of the day.
Children of light.
Children who have no place in darkness.
Amazing how much you can see in the daytime.
Amazing what you can't see in the darkness.
Maybe that is why most sin....most drinking and drugging....most partying....takes place
in the darkness.
You won't find any nightclubs that are lit like a football stadium.
Oh, they may have the light show...
not the same.
Why?
Because sin and evil thrive in darkness.
We shun the light when we are moving in our addiction.
We shun the light but are completely miserable with the darkness.

There is a great movie about a battle between the forces of evil
and the good people of a rural town.
The EVIL makes the statement to one of the townspeople that
"Your cries for fairness and tears for life that is filled with pain is like butter to our bread."
This is why I must not only surrender my will and life to God,
but live daily according to his Word.
I must live as a child of the light.
Making myself stay in a place where I will be exposed if
I try and run back to the darkness.
Not exposed so I can be punished,
but exposed from the heart of a heavenly Father who loves me so much that He is not going to
let me get away with anything.

Today....I am sober.
Today.....I am a child of light.

God on you..
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...