Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hello 21st Century

I am a dinosaur living in a Techno-culture.
At one time, I was the goo-ru of techdom.
People came to me to hook up their stuff.
Home Stereos...
Car Stereos...
VCR's -- why I could even set the clock.
Cable boxes...
I was good.
Then it all changed.
Music systems got smaller and smaller.
I resisted.
Turntables and records gave way to 8-tracks
8-tracks gave way to cassettes
Cassettes gave way to Cd's
And now
Cd's are slowly dying out to downloads, Ipods, Iphones, Me-phones, you-phones.

Back in the ol' days we carried around what looked like a tool box, but it contained
24  8-track tapes.
This was replaced with a case that could carry  60 cassettes.
Which was shoved out of the way with a case that carried over a 100 Cd's.
Then came the mp3.
1000's of songs in a doo-hickey that fit in your shirt pocket.
I fought against mp3 - it was of the devil.
Well, it isn't.

My son took me to Wal-mart last night and we purchased my own personal mp3 player.
Since I'm not so crazy about the ear-phones, I also got a docking station to
play the mp3 through.
Little bitty thing that sets on the table next to my recliner.
After a few minutes, I had downloaded a number of my Cd's.
Presto-change-o....music.
Not just any music but good music.
Coming from that little bitty box sitting there on the table.

I've written all of this to show you what I learned.
I was so concerned about the manner in which the music was being delivered that
I lost sight that it was about the music all along.
What difference did it make if the tunes came from Vinyl or digital.
The end result is the same.
The ability to hear.
The ability to enjoy.
The ability to be moved by the music.

Funny....we make churches like this.
Old fashioned churches.
New fangled churches.
Mega churches.
Store front churches.
Home churches...
Each one feels like the way they approach the Word of God is the best, when
in fact,
they loose sight that it's about the Word of God....That and that alone.
Just as we get caught up in the vehicle and the manner we receive music,
we should not fall into the trap that our way of doing church or delivering the Word is
the best or only way.

This is my simple take on what is going on in me and around me.
God's blessing on you...
mb

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of mp3's Mike! I am very proud of you! If I know what you mean about being the guy everyone turns to for help with techno gadgets! And if I can ever be 'that guy' for you please don't hesitate to give me a ring!

I love the analogy you used comparing music to the church. Some of them might be more clunky than others (haha) but hey- we really are all on the same team and love should be what unites us! Thank God for freedom in the Spirit!

Great post! Love you man!

A.J.

Greene Street Letters said...

I'm living life large with my mini-thingy-doo-ma-ba-bob.
I have listened to more music today than I have in the past 10 years. good stuff!
Thanks A.J.
I will call if I need help.
You da man.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...