Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's Gonna Be A Bright, Bright, Sunshinny Day!

Summer in Alabama continues.
Hot, humid, muggy and about a thousand other adjectives to describe the weather.
Enough about that.

Kind of stuck on I Corinthians 15:31..the last part of the verse.
Paul is writing the church at Corinth and he makes this statement....."I die daily."
Each morning that Paul arose from sleep, he determined, within himself, to die or give no place to his own desires. He knew that some desire comes from the old nature or flesh. I think Paul sought the Lord for wisdom on how to discern what was from God and what was from Paul's own nature.

Paul knew that his old nature is very selfish so he had to guard himself against such things that would only profit and feed that old way of life. I think the scary part for Paul (my opinion) was the fact that Paul had such a tremendous religious background. It would have been very easy for Paul to slide back into the mindset of a Pharisee and feel like God was empowering him to operate from this way of life. We read where Paul said, "Hey guys ( a loose translation if you will), I have weighed out my old life against this new I have in Christ. You know what? My old life is manure, dung, waste!" Paul layed down everything he thought was valuable and useful to embrace a life of dying daily. But it is in the dying that real life, God life, is found.

I find myself wanting the best of both lives.
How foolish is this?
The two lives cannot coexist in the same body.
It is the surrender of one that allows the other to grow.
As Bob Dylan so aptly put it, "You gotta serve somebody."
Why not lay down the world and embrace the cross and the Kingdom Rule of God.
Let your prayer today be "Your Kingdom come, Your Kingdom will be done....on earth as it is in heaven."
Let the rule of God be the focus of your walk today.
Seek his direction in your life today.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...