Monday, September 27, 2010

The Last Monday Of The Week....

I'm in an unusual position today as I find myself not having to go to Rapha.
In other words........I'm off today.
What a present.
3rd cup of coffee...
Actually sit down and read the Gadsden Times...
Do some yard work.....uh...not today.

Found myself in Genesis 3 this morning and I'm kind of stuck on "figs".
Verse 7 reads that the man and the woman, after eating the fruit and realizing that they were naked, sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.
Why fig leaves?
Was that the closest tree to them?
Did they just reach for the first covering they thought might provide some cover to their bodies?
The leaves were probably green and lush but after being picked to make aprons, they began to die and wilt and turn brown. Isn't that the way of man? That everything we seek to do outside the will of God dies. It does not produce any real fruit and as time passes, it becomes dry and brittle and simply falls apart. I think I would say yes.

How did they know to do this?
Where did they come up with the idea of "let's take these leaves and sew them or stick them or whatever it was (Bible says sew) that held them together? That is what happens when we try to "do" for ourselves outside of God's will. We come up with "ideas" from out own imagination and mind that have nothing in common or in line with what God's will is. We become creative and even feel good about it....."Wow! Surely this is what God wants, after all I thought it up." Then we find out that it isn't from God and we are uncovered. Like the man and the woman in Genesis 3, we look for the short term solution to our major problems.
The fig leaves took care of a "right now" problem, but they did not offer a long term solution.
God is calling us to walk with Him and see the eternal rather than the temporary.
Choose today which one you will follow.
I think I'll reject the "leaf" suit and take the glory of God.
How 'bout you?

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...