Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Genesis 15:15

"And as for you, you shall go to your fathers in peace. You shall be buried at a good old age."

These are the words God spoke to Abram as He was making a covenant.
Imagine God coming to you tonight, right where you are and saying, "Hey....I just wanted to let you know that when it is time for you to die, you will have had a life of peace, and oh yeah, I'm going to let you live a long, long time.

How would we react?
It is easy to sit here on this side of the Scripture, 1000's of years afterwards, and speculate what we would or would not do.
What would I do?
I may take great comfort in these words. You see, I'm not old but I'm also not getting any younger. When I say I'm not old, I guess I mean in my head I don't perceive myself to be old. I am turning 59 in a few weeks, so that does put me closer to retirement that say when I was 29.
Yet even with these words spoken to Abram, there was still a lot of life to live. And with that life, there was time to make some mistakes........make some bad choices.....mess up........and yes.......even fail. But in the midst of the humanity of life, God had promised Abram that he would die in peace and would be "full of years" as it is written about Job.
I personally love that term "full of years". The impression that I get from that term is that there weren't any empty spots or unfinished business when it was over. I do pray that I am able to spend the rest of my days chasing hard after this Jesus. I pray that I not give up or grow to weary to carry on. I pray that God would grant me new strength, new vision and a fire and passion for his kingdom and his Son! I pray that I would be renewed by the Holy Spirit daily and that I not keep this to myself but give it away to others that I meet. I pray that I would become an instrument in the hands of God and that he would create beautiful songs and melodies through my life.

I pray that I might carry around the fragrance of Jesus instead of the stench of death that sin gives off. That my words would give grace to those who hear them (Eph. 4:29) and that I might be able to build up for the Kingdom and not tear down. I pray that I walk in the fullness of God's Spirit and that I not embarrass His name by something I say or do.

I pray that I do not take for granted the incredible gifts and treasures God has given to me. Friends...I am the richest man I know because of the friends he has surrounded me with. Family....Words cannot express my feelings for my wife, my sons and daughters and my grand children.

Most of all....
I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the Kingdom of God at this point in time. I want to spend the rest of my days doing exactly what God has called me to do today....
Thank you Lord...
There may be many more who are more qualified...
But there aren't any who are more appreciative for what you have called me to.
Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord!

God on you......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...