Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Corinthians Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I am not a theologian. I am a man in love with the Word of God. As such, what I am sharing today is from my own study of the Word.

CHAPTER 1

Verse 1 -  I love the way Paul begins his letters. He is very much aware of who he is in Christ. Paul doesn't come across as arrogant or puffed up, he simply states who he is in Christ. That is humility, agreeing with God who God says you are.

Paul states that he is:
1.) Chosen -  no work on his part. He didn't seek out the place he has in the Kingdom. God called Paul Paul merely responded to God. I see many today who seek to "Make" a place or a name for themselves in the Kingdom of God. Sorry Charlie, doesn't work that way.

2.) By the will  -  the same "will" that was behind the entire creation as we know it, is the will that was exercised in the calling of Paul. The same will that broke through my own spiritual darkness and poverty to bring me to salvation.

3.) To be an apostle -  Here we see the place God has for Paul. An apostle--- one who is sent. Not everyone who is called of God is required to be a apostle. Some are required to be mechanics and homemakers and construction workers and Doctors.... You get it? We are all called when we come to salvation. God decides where we are to go. We simply follow Him. It's all a part of that Luke 9:23 passage. You know....denying self.......taking up cross..........following Him.

Verse 2 - I love what Paul writes here. Truly something that we all need to get a handle on. Paul states that he is "Writing to God's church in Corinth." Did you catch that? God's church? We don't own the church. It isn't the exclusive property of any one group of people or any one pastor. God created the church himself and has called us to be "living stones" fitly joined together for His kingdom. I think the sooner we realize that it is God's church, the better off we will be.

Paul goes on to write "To you who have been called by God to be His own holy people." Wow! Not only have we been personally called and placed, but now we find out that we are God's possession. We are His holy people. I know, I know, you're thinking "I don't feel holy".  IT ISN'T ABOUT THE FEELINGS!!! Ain't that great? It's about faith!!! It's about latching onto and believing and clinging to the truth. We are holy because God has made us holy. He has credited to our account the holiness of Christ.

Paul goes on to explain that "God made you holy by means of Christ Jesus." That is the whole "Jesus does for me that which I cannot do for myself." Excuse my vernacular but "that dog will hunt!"

Verse 3 -  Paul, always looking out and praying for others, writes: "May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace." I'll take that dynamic duo...grace and peace. Give me a double portion!

Think on these verses today.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...