Tuesday, October 19, 2010

John Chapter 17

This is one of my most favorite chapters in all of the Bible.
Why?
Because it truly is the LORD'S Prayer.
It is the last night before Jesus' Crucifixion and Jesus has finished having a passover meal with his disciples.
He is now in the garden of Gethsemane, disciples nearby (asleep), alone and is praying to the Father in heaven.

Verse 9 -
My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you.
Jesus' focus and heart was for the ones that had been a part of his life for the last 3 years. He died for the world, but his love is of those who enter into salvation. Yes, he is grieved when people turn their backs on him to go after the things of this world. Yes, he is pained when people reject him, but he knows that a way has been laid for those who are under judgement of hell to enter into relationship with him.

Verse 17-
Make them pure and holy by teaching them your words of truth.
Make them holy? Yep..not a word you hear a lot about these days..........holiness.
Holiness is not a lifestyle.
It is a way of life that is attained only by God at work in me. God's holiness is accredited to me, and it is through the work of the Holy Spirit that I am changed.
I think where we miss it today if very simple. The verse said, "Make them holy by teaching them your words of truth." Somehow Scripture has gotten lost in the shuffle. People seem to want to hear messages that will give them heaven now here on earth. And when I say "heaven", I mean the material kind...blessings and prosperity. If I remember right the Word says that we should "prosper" as our soul prospers.I hold fast to the idea that we don't grow in God through our experiences. Those supernatural moments where the Spirit of God falls upon us or in a room or at a conference. Don't get me wrong, I love it when such times happen. But the real growth comes by reading and hearing the Word of God. Romans 10:17 reads "Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God." Get it? Faith comes....faith appears.....faith rises up within a heart that has given up when the Word of God is heard not just with human ears but with human hearts.  The message of the cross is the power of God. Power to change lives and transport us from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light.
Praise God that is THE good news. I don't have to life in my old ways anymore. Full of bitterness and jealousy and strife. I am now a part of the Kingdom of God.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...