Saturday, November 13, 2010

I Hate Sin

Did you ever have one of those days where you know in your heart that you are a believer...
A follower of Jesus, but you head tells you something else.
There may even be people around you who question your relationship with God.
Days where you even doubt your salvation.

Today is a day where if I listen to my feelings, I could easily slide back into old behaviors and thoughts.
At the same time, there is the ever present thought in my heart that what I am experiencing is not truth but rather simply the emotions of my flesh.

I don't propose to know everything theological or doctrinally about life with Christ.
I know what I know based on my readings, my studies in Scripture...
Based on my own personal experiences ....
And the leading of the Holy Spirit.

All around me there are several voices of others who make bold claims about God and about life with following Him.
I don't  know that I fit into what they are teaching.....
Rather than try, I will spend my energy and time listening for God.
For His direction....
What is the truth I know....
Well, the most important truth today is found in I John 2:1-2

1John 2:1-2 reads:  My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins---and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.

I really like that verse.
The letter is being written so that we may not sin.....
BUT....
IF anyone does sin...then we have an advocate, someone who will speak on our behalf.
That is awesome.

So what is sin...
It has been defined as "leaving the path"....."Missing the mark"......"Being independent from God and his plans".
All of these are good definitions.
Sin is in me, or rather I inherited a sin nature that came to mankind through Adam.
It broke the original relationship with God and created a chasm between us.
I cannot reach God, but He can and has reached me through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
By may repentance and admission of guilt I am cleansed by the Holy Spirit and made new.
It is in this  new life that I am learning to live as Jesus would have me.

In some ways, I feel very old in Christ....
In other, a mere babe.
Today, Lord....
Look upon me with favor and may I not embarrass your name.
May I not do anything that would discredit the power and purity of God that is evident in the lives of believers.
You be God over me...
You are my Lord...
You are my Savior....
You are Jesus the Christ.

God on you....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

Mike, I appreciate your honesty and your willingness to walk by faith.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...