Friday, November 26, 2010

Ready, Set........GO!

Luke 2:1 - And it came to pass in those days.........

For those who read the Bible, these words from the book of Luke usher in the birth of the Christ child.
Spelling out events and decisions that would shape and form the necessary order for God to enter into this world in the form of man.

When we read Scripture, sometimes we don't really grasp the simple thought that God uses natural order of events to bring about his plans for the Kingdom. But if you read in Luke, you'll see how hundreds and hundreds of miles away from Bethlehem, God stirred the heart and mind of Caesar Augustus to begin a census to see how many people fell under Roman rule. It was this plan that opened the door and (if you don't mind me saying) forced Joseph and Mary to return to Bethlehem in order to be registered for the Census.

I am a firm believer that God has not stopped in using events to continue his plan. If the truth be known, we are living in a time of REVELATION. Not just understanding, but of the last book of the Bible. The events that are happening around us are all part of the plan. I also believe that we, as followers of Jesus, are to participate in this plan. Our orders stem from Matthew 28:20 where Jesus tells the disciples to "go forth". Go forth where? Into all the world, teaching and baptizing and making new disciples. I think this is our marching orders until, as individuals, we either die or Jesus returns for us. Last night, as the Thanksgiving day unwound, my family and I were sitting in the living room and some how talk began to focus on retirement. While I'm still a few years away from retirement, the talk about it has begun. My youngest son asked me what I intended to do if I retired. "Do you have a hobby? Would you take another job?" I kind of smiled and said that I would probably continue to do what I am currently doing. Going to Rapha each day and teach the word of God. Share and minister to the men who come through the program. I told Josh, "the only thing is that I might take a few more days off here and there so your Mom and I can come to see you."

Even in my own life, I can look back and now see that the hand of God has been leading me for years.
I think back to a cold, rainy November night in 1968. Jim Bentley and I sat at a table in Attalla, Alabama with a young man from South Africa. We listened as the young man taught from the Bible in a way I'd never heard before. He showed me parts of Scripture that I'd never heard taught in my church. Part of me was drawn to what he was saying and a part of me was terrified that I was being deceived. I now know that it was the Holy Spirit that was drawing me to this Scripture. It was that night, in that restaurant that changed me forever. I didn't know or understand at the time but God used that young man from South Africa to start me on a journey that has lead me to where I am today.

Be grateful for the journey.
Make the most of it as you study God's word and then live it.
Look for someone else to tell your story to.
Live today to the fullest.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...