Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Word Brings Life

Isaiah 55:10-13
The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmers and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and ti will prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands! Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow. Where briers grew, myrtles will sprout up. This miracle will bring great honor to the Lord's name. It will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.

In a day and age where people shun the word of God in order to have an experience, I think we miss a vital part of growing in God. Please don't get me wrong as I write this. I love it when the Spirit of God shows up in a meeting or a gathering and suddenly the air becomes electric with anticipation of what God is going to do. I have been a part of meetings that produced amazing manifestations of God's Holy Spirit. But none of these experiences top having the Word of God unfolded to my spirit. To suddenly see something that I had never noticed. Or to have a truth come alive in me and you know that God has spoken. To see the attitudes and behaviors of our time written about thousands of years ago as a prophetic word spoken by God. To see and understand the written word of God is worth everything to me.

Some today equate the Word of God as not being able to be understood by man. They twist words and clothe it in mysteries and make proclamations that mankind is unable to clearly understand what God meant. Since the Word of God is not understandable, they turn to experiences and sensations in order to understand God. They seek to understand God through their senses rather than through faith.
Romans 10:17 reads: Faith comes from hearing and hearing the Word of God.
May not be as flashy as falling down under the Spirit but it produces a lasting hunger for His Word.

Being a product of a renewal movement back in the 90's, I will never forget what John Wimber told us as kind of a warning. "It doesn't matter what the manifestation is on the individual, unless that individual comes away with a deeper love for Jesus and the Word of God, it is in vain." My heart breaks for those who have simply fallen in love with the manifestation. They could have so much more than a feeling which will disappear. Fall in love with the giver of gifts, not just the gift.

Think on these things.
Ask God to create in you a hunger for His Word.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...