Monday, December 6, 2010

One More Time

It's probably past time, but every now and then I try to share who I am and what I do so as to give those who stop by here to read, an understanding of the blog.
My name is Michael Bynum and I serve as Staff pastor at Rapha Treatment center. A Christ-centered alcohol and drug rehab.

In August of 1998, I had moved into full time ministry as Associate Pastor of Gadsden Vineyard Church. A friend of mine invited me out to Rapha to accompany him in a worship service. I had never heard of Rapha or even knew where it was located. Turned out it is less than 2 miles from where I live. My first time there was less than stellar and I swore to myself that I would not be coming back. God had a different idea.
After we finished, a young man, who was a client, came up to me to thank me for coming out. He asked me, "I guess you were wondering why we didn't sing and join in with your music aren't you?" He went on to explain, "We get a lot of well meaning folks come here to sing and teach. But you know what? They never take the time to get to know us. They don't even know our names. We kind of figure that if they aren't going to take the time to get to know our names, why should we participate in what they are doing?" Little did this young man know, but God was speaking through him. The moment he shared that information with me, my heart was broken and God was speaking. "You have to come back here." I had already decided that I would never be coming back to Rapha. God had other plans. I reached out for the young mans hand to shake and I said, "Well, I'll be coming back and I will know your names."

That was 12+ years ago.
I spent my first 6 years as a volunteer, teaching and doing what ever was needed.
I taught morning classes, afternoon classes and evening classes.
It was during this time that I felt God wanted me to start a "Church" service for the men at Rapha as well as others in addiction. From this was born HOUSE OF BLUE, which we had every Saturday night at Gadsden Vineyard. To say it was a success is an understatement. This was long before Celebrate Recovery and we were flying by the seat of our pants as how to carry out such a plan. God was faithful. Little did we know that House of Blue was actually the place of training God used to equip us for the next step.

In March of 2004, I came on board staff at Rapha part time. Filling in during the day classes as well as other duties. August of that same year, I was moved to full time. So now I was full time at Rapha as well as full time at Vineyard. When I look back on those years, I wonder how I was even able to do what I did. Of course it wasn't me, it was God.

From 2004 till April of 2006, I served both Rapha and Vineyard but that was about to change. God spoke and said, "Leave Vineyard and move to Rapha." It was the hardest thing in the world I have ever done. Vineyard had given me so much and allowed me such freedom to learn and grow, but I knew this was truly God moving me.

I did my last service at Vineyard and my first service at Rapha on April 28, 2006. Since then, I have served at Rapha Treatment center. My wife, Vicki, serves with me but as a volunteer. She teaches Money Management for the men who are moving from the in-house program into work release. God has given her a heart for those in recovery and she truly is the "mother" of the men who come through the program. We have been blessed beyond measure and I pray that God lets me spend all my days at Rapha.

I hope this gives you some idea of who I am and what it is I have been called to do.
God on you.....
Thank you for reading the GREENE STREET LETTERS.

mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

I thank God he sent you to Rapha. And pray God's blessings on your ministry there.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...