Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Repentance

II Corinthians 7:10
For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret,
leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

I have been reading from Oswald Chambers My Utmost For His Highest over the past few days.
In one particular section Chambers writes, "We trample the blood of the Son of God under foot if we think we are forgiven because we are sorry for our sins."

I have had to ponder this for some time.
True repentance is merely my response that comes when the Holy Spirit convicts me of my sin.
When I am made aware that my destiny for all eternity is separation from God, and that it is of my own doing, then and only then can I truly repent.

Chambers goes on to write, "the entrance into the Kingdom of God is through the panging pains of repentance crashing into a man's respectable goodness. Then the Holy Ghost, who produces these agonies, begins the formation of the Son of God in the life. This new life will manifest itself in conscious repentance and unconscious holiness, never the other way about. "

It is God who calls me to repentance.
It is God who uncovers my very heart of darkness.
It is God who offers salvation to me.
In repentance, I accept.

Chamber's closes out with, "The bedrock of Christianity is repentance. Strictly speaking, a man cannot repent when he chooses. Repentance is a gift of God. If ever you cease to know the virtue of repentance, you are in darkness. Examine yourself and see if you have forgotten how to be sorry."

It seems to me that in some so called circles of Christianity, repentance has become an archaic term.
An act that has been put on the back shelf.
Some groups seem uneasy when a person becomes penitent in their midst.
When true repentance takes place, there is an undoing of the person to whom it comes to.
But praise God! What an incredible burden is lifted off by God's Holy Spirit when the repentance comes.

No matter how long you have been in relationship with the Lord, you never outgrow the need to be examined by the Holy Spirit.
Repentance is not a word just for those who don't know Jesus.
It is an ongoing process we submit to under the direction of God's Holy Spirit.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...