Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Hebrews 10:19-23

Verse 19
Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus,
Where does this confidence come from? This confidence that we can move into a place that, on earth, was reserved only for the high priest, where does it come from? From God's Holy Spirit who assures us that if we are saved then we have access to this relationship with God. As a part of this access, we can have an on going communication with God himself, through the Holy Spirit who speaks to Jesus on our behalf.
Confidence. I see many who are not confident. The devil comes to rob them of their confidence.  He wants to keep you from believing in your rightful place as a child of God.

Verse 20
By a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body.
Through the death and resurrection of Jesus, we have been restored in our relationship with God. The relationship is no longer broken and separated because of sin. He made him who knew no sin to become sin for us. That is why Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me." I like how this verse reads....."By a new and living way." It isn't some old, dead ritual that has lost power and meaning. Our salvation is alive and changing us as we walk with God daily.

Verse 21
And since we have a great priest over the house of God.
Jesus is our great high priest. As the Big Book of A.A. reads.....He did for me what I could not do for myself. Hallelujah! What a Savior. Looking back at our lives, how could you not get excited about the power and purity and glory of Jesus, that he would come and change us.

Verse 22
Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart full of assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.
What an incredible invitation. Let us draw near to God. I can do so without fear or shame or guilt because God has dealt with me and in me to change me. I can do so (as the verse reads) with a heart of full assurance. That means I understand who I am in God's eyes. I am no longer playing games, but operating in the truth. Notice that our hearts are cleansed before our bodies are. The work of the Holy Spirit always begins on the inside which in turn, affects or brings change to the our outward behavior.

Verse 23
Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
That means we latch on to this incredible gift and position with everything we have. We are not going to let Satan come in and slowly pry our fingers loose with his lies and deception. He does not want you to understand who you are in God's sight. He wants you to continue to live under guilt and shame. NO WAY!
I've been set free.

If that don't set you on fire....
then your wood is wet......
Praise God!
God on you.....
mb

2 comments:

RODRIGUEZ said...

This is such a great chapter! I love the way you broke it down and especially verse 22. I sometimes try to change the outward when the inward is still wrong, which usually leads me out of NT grace and into OT law. I am glad that God searches my heart by His Spirit and the Light of His Word to reveal the things that hinder me! Thanks! Denise

Greene Street Letters said...

Thanks Denise. I belive that sometimes we believe it is easier and better to simply change a behavior rather than deal with the reason inside. THe whole basis for the 12 Steps is that God is the power that changes us. Like I wrote, Jesus did for me what I could not do for myself.
mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...