Thursday, February 10, 2011

Titus

I have been camped in Titus 2:11-13

Verse 11
For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men.
Grace....
One of the most misunderstood nature of God. Grace is not God's "unmerited" favor. It isn't God giving us something we don't deserve. It isn't even a prayer we say at meal time.

Grace is the empowering presence of God in me that enables me to be who I was created to be and do what God created me to do.
Grace is a force.
Grace is a power.
Grace is God!
Noticed that the grace has appeared to all men.
Just like in Joel where he says, "I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh." That doesn't mean that all flesh will receive it. It means that it is offered.

Verse 12
It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.
Grace teaches us.....
So if Grace is teaching, what's my part?
To listen and learn and do.
Grace is the teacher and empower-er (how do you like that word?) that helps me to navigate through this present age with all its enticements and temptations.
You don't hear much about self-control any more do you? What you do hear is "live life to the fullest" which is kind of secret catch phrase that means "feed your sinful nature". Sounds contrary to what God is saying in Titus.
Notice also that these godly lives are to be lived out here and now. The mindset that follows some folks around is "live for today and go to heaven tomorrow." Wouldn't it be a hoot if God gave us this life to learn how to live so when it was over, we'd have an inkling of how to live in heaven?

Verse 13
While we wait for the blessed hope---the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
To some, it will not be a glorious appearing, but rather a confirmation and condemnation of a life spent in sin. A life that rejected the goodness and salvation that God offered.
What a terrible thought. To suddenly see Jesus. The real Jesus, coming back and you know in your heart of hearts you have rejected him. So you cry out to be saved. You cry out for Jesus to have mercy, but it's too late. 
I praise God this morning for the blessed hope of his return. I am comforted by it. There is nothing here in this world that has my affection or love.


I guess how you read and view this posting this morning is kind of found in where your relationship with Christ is.
I pray that they are words of hope and encouragement.
Words that strengthen you and give you resolve to live today for Jesus.

Until tomorrow....
God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...