Thursday, February 3, 2011

Who Are You Going To Trust?

These are some kind of days we are going through, aren't they?
Weather like we've never seen.
Snow and wind. Blizzard Conditions.
Unrest in the middle east.
Again.
Economic uncertainty.
Men running around trying to calm nations with their words, asking the people to believe in them and their ability to fix the problems that surround us.
The very word "family" being re-defined because the majority says that it isn't inclusive.
And on
And on
And on

Yet, this morning God is still God and he is in control.
Control?
He isn't doing a very good job of it.
Well, yes He is.
There is a verse in the book of Nahum  that reads as follows:
The Lord is good. A refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him.

I always tell people that it is easy to see the things God does for us.
It isn't always so easy to see the things He keeps from happening to us.
First off, we have an enemy- a.k.a. the devil.
He has one purpose and that is to destroy you physically and spiritually.
We all know that we are going to die. I mean the minute you come out of your mother's womb and the doctor slaps your little behind, the clock starts ticking. We are headed toward death.
But the Bible speaks of a 2nd death.
The death where we are eternally (think "Forever" and then add a couple of gazillion years) separated from God.
So what kind of things does God keep from happening.
Ummmmmmm car wrecks that were intended to kill you. Dealing with people in recovery, usually they have a story about using and driving. They end up in a wreck, should have been killed but weren't. "Boy, I was lucky!" No you weren't. God saved your bacon (life).

To me, the most incredible thing God has done is that waking up this morning, I am filled with the thoughts and the hope that if something happens to me today. Should I die. I will be with Jesus. I will have shaken off the mortal coil we call our body, and I will have been ushered into the presence of Jesus. Well, if that is such a wonderful thing, why don't we all just commit suicide and go on home? Why don't we just shake off the dust of this old world and skedaddle on up to heaven? Because there are others who need to know of the saving power of Jesus. There are others out there still trapped in addiction that need to know and feel the love of the Lord. If we are not here to be connected and used by God in aiding their salvation, how will they know or hear?

That is why I write on this blog every day.
Not to point to me and say, "Hey everybody! Ain't I great! Look at me!
NO!
It is because I want as many people to know and meet this God who has turned my life upside down for the better.
I want everyone to know that they don't have to keep on living in spiritual darkness under the bondage of sin.
I want everyone to come and see and taste that the Lord is good.
May He come to you today.
May His love cover you.
May you be awakened to the truth.

God on you....
mb

1 comment:

Bobby said...

He came to me today through this post. Thanks for preaching Christ.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...