Friday, March 18, 2011

I Live To Please Him



II Corinthians 5:9
Therefore, also we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

I have been using Oswald Chambers My Utmost For His Highest as part of my morning devotion.
The thing that has struck me about the readings are how everything points back to Jesus.
It isn't about any work we do or thing we say, our entire life should always be found in Christ.
Truth be known, I am the least part of this equation. Jesus has offered me the gift of life with Him and because of this, He becomes the focal point of this relationship. Not what He can do for me....Not what He can do to me.....Not what He can do through me....but He alone become my focus as I live to please Him.

In today's reading, Chambers uses the verse from II Corinthians 5 as one more in the line of "pointing" to Jesus.
Chambers writes about our lives being only to please God (our aim or ambition) --"It means holding one's self to the high ideal year in and year out, not being ambitious to win souls or to establlish churches or to have revivals, but being ambitious only to be "accepted of Him."  He goes on to write "The Apostle Paul is like a musician who does not need the approval of the audience if he can catch the look of approval from his Master."

This really hit home with me.
I sometimes find myself mistakenly focusing on my work at Rapha.
Focusing on the next message I have to preach.
The next set of worship music we are to play.
In my mind, I find myself thinking "How will the people react? Will they resond in a postive way?"
In fact my focus should be on "is this pleasing to God?"
I guess I'll always be learning more and more each day of what a "Scoodle-dud" I am and how much I need Jesus now than ever before.

Colossians 1:10
So that you may walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

I Thessalonians 4:1
Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (Just as you actually do walk) that you might excel still more.

The center of what we teach at Rapha is found in this idea of pleasing God and not men.
We have something called The Four False Beliefs, and number two on this lists reads.."I must have the approval of others to feel good about myself. This false belief keeps us looking for our identity and self worth in others. When we don't get it, we fall into guilt and shame and low self esteem. As a believer, I find that identity in the one who made me, Jesus Christ. I look to Him an His approval, which He freely gives to His children to define me and set the parameters of my life.
There is freedom in living only to please God.
As I seek Him first, He returns to me the grace and mercy.....the love and compassion needed to live in this world.

Focus on Jesus today....
God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...