Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Whom I Have Believed


In search of sobriety.
A life free from not just drugs and alcohol, but the destruction brought on by them.
Sobriety isn't found in Jesus. Sobriety is a by product of life with Jesus.
Just as joy, happiness, grace, mercy and love are part of what you recieve when you find your life in Christ.
Sobriety is such a little part of life in Christ. True, it is major to someone who is struggling with addiction, but there is so much  more than just the absence of alcohol or drugs.

I love the passage in Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest."
It's an invitation, pure and simple. Leave what you currently know about life and come to me. Leave you old way of living (which isn't working too well) and come to me. It involves a decision on your part to step out in obedience which will build faith. Who would issue such an invitation except one who has the authority and power to see it to completion and make it happen.
Two parts:  1.) Come (that's my duty) and 2.) You will be given rest (that's Jesus' part).
Rest. Physical rest? That's part of it, but truth be known you don't need Jesus to get physical rest. The rest Jesus speaks of is spiritual. No more struggling against your old will and way of life. A rest from the destruction of old ways.

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls."
What is a yoke? It is the shoulder harness that was put on oxen and domesticated animals to guide them. So if Jesus has a yoke it is there for a reason. To teach us. More than that, the yoke of Jesus is for guidance. To keep us from going in the wrong direction and to stay the course under his hand. Notice again, if I do what Jesus is asking me to do, there is a benefit......rest for my soul. No more inward struggle concerning the world and it's pull to sin. I don't think Jesus mean that we are free forever from that battle, just that when the devil brings temptation and deception to our door, we don't have to answer it and open ourselves us for attacks. When I say "no more inward struggle," I mean we don't have to engage. Sure temptation will come, but I don't have to entertain it and dwell on it. I rest in the knowledge and assurance that Jesus IS the better way.

"For My yoke is easy and My load is light."
Don't be confused by what it means to have a burden for Jesus. A burden is God-given and is for our direction to pursue a course God desires us to move in. A burden spurs us to prayer and to service.
Even under the weight of a God-given burden, there is a peace and strength that comes to us.

So, Jesus is the LORD of my life
and one of the gifts that comes from that relationship is "sobriety".
Ain't it great?
I think so.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...