Monday, April 11, 2011

And God Said....

Genesis 1:3
The God said, "let there be light" and there was light.

I can't tell you how many times I have read this passage. Probably a gazillion.
But I always come away with the same thought.
"Why didn't God say...."Light exist" or "I command light to shine"...?
To me it sounds like God gave light the right to exist.
He gave light permission to come forth.

I think maybe that truly is the way we are to perceive this verse.
God has the ultimate authority over every thing.
God gives permission.
Drawing my next breath is because God gave me permission to live.
Typing at this keyboard happens because God gave me the thought and the ability to type.
As I move through my day, God gives me permission to interact and hopefully influence or lead someone to turn their will and live over to His care.

He also gave me the ability to make choices.
I don't always make the best ones. I guess you may be asking, "Does God give me permission to sin?" The answer would be yes. Chuck Swindoll explained it like this, "Everything that happens to me does not come from the hand of God........but everything that happens to me passes through the hand of God."
This means that God gives Satan permission to test and tempt us. All you have to do is look to Scripture to see this. Luke 22:31 - "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has asked permission to sift you like wheat."
Why would Satan be given permission to uncover Peter's heart? Because Jesus wanted Peter to understand what was still in his heart. He wanted Peter to understand that darkness lay within and in that darkness was the ability to deny Jesus. It wasn't until Peter was shown this that true healing and empowerment could come.

Read the Luke 22 passages about the night before Jesus' death and then flip over to Acts and read Chapter 2 and 3. Look at what a difference there is in the Peter found in Luke 22 and the man who stands to deliver the first message after Pentecost. God gives his permission.

Maybe Romans 8:28 will read a little bit different now that we see God really is in control.
"For all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose."
God's permission holds everything in place.
The planets....
Life here on earth....
The heavenly Kingdom come down because of His will....
God's permission is the ultimate of power and authority.
I celebrate this today!

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...