Thursday, April 28, 2011

Devastation

Yesterday will go down as a time we will soon not forget.
Vicki and I sat and watched television as the storms raced through the state bringing death and destruction.
Entire communities wiped out.
Houses gone.
Fatalities.
In a matter of minutes, lives changed forever.

There are a million questions being asked.
"Why?"
"Where was God in all of this?"
I don't know that I would be able to answer their questions.
I know that we serve a loving, perfect God in an imperfect world.
I know that God was not caught off guard from anything that happened and, in fact, may have kept the storms from doing even greater destruction and taking more lives.

In a situation that does not make sense to the human mind, I guess the one thing that keeps coming to my own mind is the words that Jesus spoke to his disciples in Matthew 16---"Who do you say I am?"
It is easy to answer that question when life is good.
When your home is still standing and you have money in the bank.
When your family is intact and you are all together.
But the truth of who Jesus is to you truly comes out in the midst of lost and destruction.

The Apostle Paul had asked God for help in a troubling situation that was following him every where he went. In II Corinthians 12:9, Paul received the answer to his prayer.  "My grace is sufficient for you. For power is perfected in weakness."  Never is grace more needed than when we are overwhelmed and thrown into the depths of despair.

Today with all the destruction and damage done in our state, no matter what our lot in life, we all should cry to God for His grace.
Why?
Because His grace is sufficient for the day.
Please pray for those who have suffered from this storm.
Please give to the Red Cross or Salvation Army to help with the clean up.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...