Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The More Things Change...The More They Stay The Same

Proverbs 23:29-35
Who has anguish? Who has sorrow? Who is always fighting? Who is always complaining? Who has unnecessary bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? It is the one who spends long hours in the taverns, trying out new drinks. Don't let the sparkle and smooth taste of wine deceive you. For in the end it bites like a poisonous serpent. It stings like a viper. You will see hallucinations, and you will say crazy things. You will stagger like a sailor tossed at sea, clinging to a swaying mast. And you will say, "They hit me, but I didn't feel it. I didn't even know it when they beat me up. When will I wake up so I can have another drink?"

We are indeed "walking" dead men and women outside of a life with Christ.
When we live according to the sinful nature, we gravitate toward the things that feed that sin appetite.
We think that real life is found in carrying out our desires and wishes under the cover of darkness.
I am in need of being saved and restored by a Power greater than myself: That would be Jesus.
I am in need of coming to the place of being totally in touch with my own lack of power: Wheather that power be found in my own self will or my own physical strength, I lack the capability to put my life back in order.

I see so many who disdain the instruction and healing that is found in the Twelve Steps.
They (as the big books states) look for an easier softer way. As if their own perception will pick up on something.......some way..........some new thought that no one else has ever considered that will eliminate the need to follow a few simple instructions in order to live life under the direction of "SELF". This path has, and always will, lead to failure and relapse. That may sound harsh and unloving, but I am merely stating what I know to be true. Just as I told you to not touch the eye of an electric stove when it was on because it would burn you. The addictive mind says, "It won't burn me because I have no intention of touching for that long." Touch it and the outcome is what I predicted. You get burned.

I guess I am amazed at the power of the human mind and will especially when it is under the influence of sin. It will seek out any way what so ever to remain in control. It will even get super religious in order to survive. But only through submission to God and the acceptance of Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior will break the power of in. Only the blood of Jesus will break the penalty of sin. And only an ongoing relationship with Jesus will destroy the future of sin in your life.

I don't have the all the answers.
I'm not sure I even have some answers.
But I do know this.
Jesus is the way ......the truth.....and the life. Not some life. Not a life. Not one of many different types of life. Jesus is THE life.
Chew on this.....

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...