Thursday, April 7, 2011

Signs..Signs....Every Where Are Signs....

Mark 16:20
And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen
We seem to be a sign seeking generation.
Signs in the sky.
Signs in nature.
Signs in music.
Signs in the dreams of men and women.
Signs coming forth at every turn and prophetic words being spoken at an unprecedented rate.

But here in Mark 16 we read where the Lord confirmed or backed up the truth of the preaching of His word with signs.
What signs?
Well, what would be the most incredible sign we could ever hope to see or be a witness to?
Would it not be a life that has been touched and changed by the power of the Holy Spirit of God Almighty?
I think maybe it would.
A life that displayed every wrong thing concerning sin and the kingdom of darkness (a.k.a Satan's domain) now full of life and light and walking in the newness of being born again. Who could dispute such a sign? No one. Oh, they might argue and rail with such words as, "this person is only faking it. They haven't really changed." But the testimony of one who has been saved is beyond reproach. Proven by the work of the Holy Spirit.

The real truth of whether a person has changed or not is found in the heart. I have had many who came forward to be saved and to them such a decision was no more than a mental exercise. There wasn't any remorse for their sin. No change in the direction there life was headed in. No evidence of brokeness or a contrite heart. After an extended time, there was o evidence of a turning around of will and life under the direction of the Holy Spirit, that brings a new nature and character. II Corinthians 5:17 reads; Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature. Old things are passed away, behold all things become new.

Did you catch that? Any man be in Christ....looking to Christ for life, he (the one who has been saved) is a new creature. A new creature with a new nature. A new creature with a new life. My old way of life is dead, and it has been replaced with one that Jesus wants to teach me how to live.

The one thing that has amazed all the years I have been a Christian is how I keep learning more and more about myself as I learn more and more about Jesus. As I seek Jesus daily, I am put in situations and circumstances that reveal more of my character. It is an ongoing process. I was saved yesterday----I am being saved today----I will be saved tomorrow. The initial commitment was made when I surrendered my life to Christ and made Him Lord over me. Now, I get to learn how to live this new life daily. It's a kind of  "on -the-job-training" if you will. Maybe that is why the Apostle Paul said we were to work out our salvation with fear and trembling.

I am not the same man (in my nature and world view) that I was 20 years ago. It has nothing to do with society or my environment, but has everything to do with God at work in me.
Let God have his way in you today, that we may all grow into the unity of faith.
Love deeply today....
Speak truthfully today...
Pray powerfully today....
Walk faithfully today.....

God be with you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...