Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Watch Your Back!

Reading this morning in My Utmost For His Highest and the verse for the day comes from I Kings 2:28...
Now the news came to Joab, for Joab had followed Adonijah, although he had not followed Absalom. And Joab fled to the tent of the Lord and took hold of the horns of the altar.

Strange verse indeed. Joab was on King Solomon's radar because he was a traitor. After being loyal to the king, Joab had turned and joined in an attempt to overthrow the King and put a new one in place. Joab had been faithful to the King, but turned and followed another. Now uncovered, Joab had run to the tent of the Lord where the Ark of the Covenant was placed and had attached himself to the altar of incense. This altar was symbolic of the prayers of the saints ascending to heaven before God. Imagine that---Joab had run to the place of prayer and had laid hold of the altar. He wasn't about to come out and face his enemy. Do you think maybe Joab threw up a few prayers while he was wrapped all around the altar? I think so. I think his prayers sounded something like this.  "Oh God.....Oh God....Oh God....Oh God!"

Eventually Solomon had Joab killed.
Not much love in the Old Testament...just a lot of justice and law.
Thank you Lord for your Grace.
So what does this have to do with me...here today...in my time and life?
Oswald Chambers writes, "After facing a crisis in our lives, we are apt to say, ' It is not in the least likely that having been through the supreme crisis, I shall now turn to the things of this world.'"
Truth is we are to keep guard over our thoughts and our heart at all times. Through all situations and circumstances we face.  He goes on to say that "The Bible characters fell on their strong points, never on the their weak ones. To be kept by the power of God---that is the only safety.'

In other words we need to be aware that our greatest time of vulnerability is after we come through a crisis. For in these times, we tend to let our guard down. We do not have the luxury of letting down, especially in this day and time. I won't go into the details, but I had a dream last night that I know was a "God" dream. It involved spiritual warfare and attacks by the enemy. I think maybe we are entering into a season where we may see an upturn in the attacks we may be facing by the enemy. Now is the day to use our armour. Now is the day to resist the devil so that he will flee. Now is the time to stand and having done all else, stand. Stand in the power of the Lord. Stand in the strength of God.

In the I Kings passage, Joab traded his loyalty to one king, for loyalty to the false king. It cost him his life.
I do not want to be found as having traded my loyalty to God for the things of this world. To be brought back under the bondage and rule of Satan.
Today, I will deny myself......my will and my desires, and I will take up my cross and follow hard after Jesus.
For only in the following will I find true life.
I will not be distracted by the baubles and beads, the shiny things of this world, but will wholly focus my heart and mind on the cross of Christ, that I may be found faithful.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...