Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Be Careful Where You Look

Genesis 13:12-13
.......and Lot dwelt  in the cities of the plain, and pitched his tent toward Sodom. But the men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.

Choices...
Life is made up of choices.
It is so easy to not look to God for direction and help when we have choices to make. Especially when the choice has the power to impact our life. Lot was given a choice by Abram. Each man, Lot and Abram, had become so wealthy and in number that their current living condition would not support the both of them. Abram gave Lot first choice. "Which ever portion of land you choose, I'll go in the opposite direction and make my home there."  Sounds like a good deal.

Lot begins to look around, taking in the panorama of the country, when suddenly is eyes are fixed on an incredible sight. An oasis in the middle of the wilderness. Green, lush, standing off in the distance as if it were calling his name......"Lot....Lot...choose me!" Isn't that the sin is when we are tempted? It is so beautiful and filled with promise that it will make our lives easier. Without hesitation, Lot chose. This choice would cost Lot latter on. But for the moment, all Lot could think of was how wonderful it will be to live in the cities that make up the plains.

Lot did not move there at first. It says that "he pitched his tent close by." I imagine that the door of his tent faced the city. He and his wife would sit there at night, after supper, and talk about what life would be like once them moved into the city. The city? Sodom. A city with an impending judgment against it from God because of the sin that took place there. That didn't concern Lot, it such a prestigious and beautiful town. Maybe even in Lot's mind, he somehow rationalized that he and Mrs. Lot would go there as missionaries.
Bottom line is this choice would lead to more problems than they both could imagine.

That is why we must truly guard ourselves when we are faced with choices.
We must seek God's help and guidance in choosing rightly.
Scripture says that God gives us His Holy Spirit and that He will guide us into all truth. That would include our decisions!
Seek God in every thing.

Until tomorrow...
God on you....

mb

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please don't get discouraged. I love reading your posts everyday. I always get something out of it. As I'm sure many others do also. Keep up the good work !!!
God bless.

Greene Street Letters said...

I'm not discouraged....Just feeling my humanness. Not an excuse because it is my humanness that gets me in trouble. Praise God! He has given me a Spirit of power to be an over comer.
Mbb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...