Saturday, May 28, 2011

Growing Up

I think the one thing that I am learning, that no one told me, is that God's work in me is ongoing and continual.
Some how there is this unspoken understanding in church that when you are saved/ born again, that is the high light of your journey. You can now find your place in a Sunday School or some other church function or office, and spend your days working from there.

No one ever told me that God was after character development!
No one ever mentioned that God was out to change the way I think and view this world.
I have found myself on both sides of "THE" fence, so to speak.
I have been a part of churches where the focus and emphasis is on the WORD of God and evangelism. Study the WORD to show yourself approved as a workman for God. They stirred clear of any mention of the Holy Spirit. Oh, in passing there would be references, but He was pretty much relegated to second class status when it came to the Father and the Son. But not once did I ever hear anyone teach on God's desire to truly grow me up and bring a change of character to me.

The other side of the fence was where it was all about the Holy Spirit. "Come and experience God! Experience God for yourself." I must say, it was a lot more fun on this side, but even here, I did not hear anyone speak on God's desire to grow us up. God's desire to change our character so that we would reflect spiritual maturity and wisdom that comes from heaven. IF anything, at times it seemed like a spiritual free-for-all. I don't know if I can qualify what I am going to say here, but from my perspective, it was very self-centered at times. Now I know that sometimes people are so damaged and hurt from life, from their sin nature and even from churches, that they need a period of time where God can come and love them and bring healing to them. But there were times when the people did not grow and seemed very content to remain in a kind of spiritual "nursery." They would be the first ones up for ministry and to be prayed over. Here again, hear me in what I am trying to say. If a person needs healing and ministry, then get up and receive it. But if a person is going time and time again simply the get the "Holy Fuzzies" or "Glory bumps" so they can go tell their friends about their experience, I would have to question that. Why? Because the time we spend being ministered to should produce growth in us. We should be falling more and more in love with Christ and not the experience.

I remember being in Toronto back in 1998 for a Catch The Fire conference. At that time Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship had been hold protracted meetings for 6 nights a week since January of 1994. That alone is a pretty amazing thing. I was talking to a man, probably in his late 30's, and he was sharing with me about all he had experienced since coming to Toronto. He had been to over 100 meetings there and received prayer each time. When I asked him how this was manifesting in his life, he looked puzzled as if I didn't get it.
"What are you doing for the Kingdom? Has God laid on your heart to engage in any specific work or ministry?" His reply...."No! I just love being touched by God." Was his answer wrong? No. But it shows a lack of maturity on his part. There was no evidence of change through all his encounters with ministry and being prayed over, only an increased hunger to experience it more. To me, this man was stuck in the spiritual "nursery" part. Enjoying the benefits of God's outpouring, but not growing and taking his place in the Kingdom.

Ephesians 5:15-17
Be very careful, then, how you live---not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish but understand what the Lord's will is.

John Wimber, head of the Association of Vineyard Churches, remarked about a time when God was pouring out His Holy Spirit on their meetings, "There was a greater anointing than there was character of our people and we did not handle it very well." This statement, to me, reveals the need for all of us to allow God to change and remove our character defects and renew us according to His Holy Spirit. In other words, God is looking for some grown ups. That is what I want to be.........grown up.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...