Friday, May 20, 2011

Old Dog...No Tricks.


Old Dog...Chewed a few bones. Ran a few rabbits. Got myself caught in some spiritual barbed wire in the process. Tore up and bleeding, I found my way back home. Oh I still have a hankering to run at night, but my bones tell me I'm better off curled up next to the fire. I guess wisdom does come with age. I am a mutt! Don't make no apologies for it, in fact, I'm pretty proud to be one.
All my mistakes have given me great wisdom...not of my own but given by God. My beautiful wife proudly proclaims for all to hear...."He is teachable." That means that I learn from my "barbed wire" encounters.

Don't claim to know all there is.
God loves me.
God has forgiven me.
 My name is in the book of life, not by my own doings but by my surrender of will and life. I know it's just Jesus! Nothing else is of importance if we can't wrap our heads (and hearts) around Jesus. It ain't an intellectual exercise or a mental ascent. It is a broken heart and a wide eyed understanding that He is God and I am not.

 He created me, not visa versa. It is a conviction brought to my life by the Holy Ghost that brought about my salvation. Have noticed how many folks don't use that term any more.....Holy Ghost? Almost like they are embarrassed by it. Holy Ghost! I like it. Of course Samuel Brengle (Salvation Army) use to refer to the Holy Ghost as the Hound of Heaven. I like that term..... Hound of heaven....kind makes you want to just give up and not run because you know there is no where you could be shed of Him. Once He picks up your scent (Yes Virginia...sin has a scent to it) He will track you down and tree you. Praise God that His Holy Ghost operates in this manner or else I'd still be up that tree hiding.

Too many folks trying to be spiritually important today. "Look at me! I have a message!" Too much self promotion going on. Advertise the latest and  newest and fanciest way to find God. Seems to me if you just invite Jesus into your meetings, that would draw folks. It's a wonder Jesus every got the "Christianity" thing off the ground without a good PR Man. NO advertising, no self-promotion....wow! I remember a man calling me when I was pastor at the Vineyard. He wanted to show me how I could grow the church and increase our giving. I wasn't to pleasant with the young Pharisee. Told him it wasn't my church. It was Jesus'. He built it and he would grow it if I stayed out of the way and cooperated with Him. Pretty much worked too. We did a Saturday night meeting for 4 years and was packed out each week. Didn't advertise nothing! (Yes, I know my English is atrocious.)

Now God has me in a part of His Kingdom dealing with dead people. That is how I take it when a person comes in trapped in addiction. They are just like Lazarus in the tomb. Dead so long they stink and wrapped up with no way out. It takes the voice of Jesus calling to them for freedom to come. Doesn't matter how bad they want out, until Jesus calls, they do not possess the power to free themselves.

Most people who are trying to move into a new life of recovery from addiction don't have a real good and true view of God and His Word. I simply try to teach what Scripture says. There is power in the "taught" word of God. Don't let anyone ever tell you different. I have seen God move in a group of men when I simply taught Scripture that contradicted what they believed. I didn't have to point it out or rail against them. I taught the word and the Holy Ghost came and convicted! Praise God! He is still at work in the hearts of men and women who are broken.

I have no idea where this particular posting come from. Well, maybe I do.
I know it may not make a lot of sense, after all, I do have a tendency to ramble.
Hopefully you saw something that encouraged you.

Thanks again for stopping by GREENE STREET LETTERS and reading it.
Share it with your friends. I don't have a copyright on anything. God gives...so do I.

My life verse:  Galatians 1:10 - For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...