Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Pray For Them...

He is awake, even as I type this.
His mind is clouded and his ability to make good, sound decisions is just not there.
Every thought....
Every moment of the day....
Is about one thing and one thing only.
How can I use?
Where can I get what I need to sustain this "feeling".
Oh the feeling of exhilaration has long since been replaced with the feeling of just wanting to feel normal.
He doesn't use to find that place of ecstasy. He uses so he can function.
Here in is the trap. His ideal of "functioning" really isn't the truth.
You see, He no longer can function.
Job?
Forget it."I don't have time to work.My job is to do whatever it takes to make sure I have enough of my DOC (Drug of Choice). That means no time off for holidays.....or sickness.....or a death in the family.
The need to use outweighs everything thing else.

Psalms 107 describes this life of addiction. Even as I write this, I have to remind myself that our primary problem is not the drugs or alcohol, but rather a broken relationship with Christ. We are bound and driven by sin.

V.4 -  They wandered in the wilderness in a solitary way. They found no city to dwell in.
In other words.....they had no sense of direction or purpose. They wandered on and on and on. How defeated someone must feel whose entire life is focused on one thing and one thing only....getting high. Oh they try and tell themselves that they are doing well. Life is good and this won't last forever, but that is the lie that they have bought into. They are existing, not living and the existence they have chose is without hope.

V.10 -  Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron.
Spiritual darkness can be more overwhelming than literal darkness. To be existing in a place where you are just numb to the things of God. In fact when your mind is turned to God, you are flooded by what we refer to as "toxic" emotions. Guilt, shame just seem to drive you deeper and deeper into the darkness. The devil covers us in condemnation and whispers in our ears...."You'll never be able to break free from this."
Praise God! That is a lie and there is freedom this morning, right here, right now!
Cry out to God!
Confess your sin!
Turn from this lie you've been living!
And receive the forgiveness of God!
Feel His love for you. Let it wash over you right now.
Fairy Tale?
I think not.
Reality.
Step into it today.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...