Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Sunday Thought Popped Into My Head

A strange behavior has taken root in some circles of "churchdom".
I hesitate to call it Christianity because I'm just not sure that's what it is.
What behavior?
Cursing. Street Language. Cussing. Foul Mouth.
IT seems to be an accepted norm among 20 -30 year old. "I love Jesus but I also love to cuss!"
I don't get it.
Sorry for being the prude or stick in the mud or the old guy or someone who is not hip (See even by using the term "hip" I showed how un-hip I truly am).
I have read articles by those who approve of the use of course language, stating that it helps to win souls to Jesus.
Really...
Then let's all just go out and cuss up a blue streak and win the world for the Lord.

Some pastors use course language from the pulpit.
Says that it makes those who aren't saved more comfortable and helps them to accept the message. It makes us approachable by those who are offended by church, Jesus, you know all that stuff that keeps you from going to hell.
Excuse me?
Where in scripture does it say "Thou shalt make the lost comfortable and not offended"?
If you happen to be one of those who doesn't see or understand what all the fuss is about, then you'll just have to ignore me.
I know....I know...You say, "They're only words. What's the harm?"
Well, hell is a word (not to mention a noun since it's a place)
Damnation is a word (not to mention a state of being when we live outside the salvation of God)
To which you might reply, "Hey! I'm saved!"
Not here to debate your salvation.
I'm simply stating an opinion that comes from a conviction.
Cursing is wrong.

I don't know...maybe Paul was kidding when he wrote Ephesians 4:29--"Let no unwholesome word come from your mouth.....
I remember some years ago, I attended a meeting where some things had been going on within a church. People had gathered to voice their opinions. That night, I witnessed something I never thought I would ever hear or see in a church gathering........profanity. Used to make a point. Used by people I respected. Why would they have to stoop to cursing to get their point across? These were highly educated folk too. Not bumpkins or rednecks (of which I am a card carrying member). Some even held positions and offices in that church. Maybe I'm the one that's out of touch. Maybe I'm the old coot who is out of touch with culture. Here again the Bible (Oh no..not that again...) says, "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks..." Kind of makes a ringing endorsement against all those who claim to be believers. I wonder if they will curse at Jesus when it's all over and we are in his presence?

Well, I tell you what....
IF that is the best culture has to offer....
I'll stay where I am....

Bill Wilson, co-founder of AA, made the statement that the absence of profanity offends no one.
How true.
Come quickly Jesus!

God on you....
mb
(thanks for letting me get that off my chest)

2 comments:

Linda Davis said...

Iknow of a situation that happened just recenty. For someone that is claiming to be a Jesus follower...it sure is not good witness. It was awful! with you 100%!!!!

Greene Street Letters said...

Thanks Linda.
In our Post-modern society (even now, there are claims that Po-mo's have become cliched') it just seems to be an acceptable behavior, to curse.

mb

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...