Wednesday, June 29, 2011





"For behold, the day is coming, burning like a furnace, and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff. And the that is coming will set them ablaze," says the LORD of hosts, sot that it will leave them neither root nor branch.

Strong words from Malachi 3:1.
There is a time set aside that only God knows.
A day that has been appointed for a settling of debt, if you will.
You see, each day we awake, we are surrounded by a "salvation" message.
God is constantly speaking and revealing himself.
His will is that none should perish.
He understands the truth of having given His creation the freedom to choose.
That is why He is constantly speaking the message of salvation.
His will is that none should perish.

How can I write this and what does this have to do with recovery and addiction?
I can only write from what I know.
Back in 1998, there was no such thing as Celebrate Recovery.
There were AA meetings, and NA meetings, but as a whole, the church had nothing to offer those who were trapped in addiction.

After I had started full time ministry, I found myself at Rapha working as a volunteer.
I was stirred ( now I know it was God) to begin a meeting or service or what ever you want to cal it, for people in recovery. A place that was "church" but didn't look like church or sound like church or even act like church. A place where someone struggling with addiction could come and for a brief moment maybe let their guard down and hear the truth of the Gospel.

We began meeting on August 21, 1999. The rest is history.
Over the past 12 years, churches all over the area began to hold meetings.
Some under the auspices of CELEBRATE RECOVERY, and others simply doing what God told them to do. Now, here today, there are many, many meetings that have sprung from churches that are available.
For whatever reason, God has deemed this time, this season to the the time of RECOVERY for those in addiction.

That is why the verses from Malachi are so important.
Celebrate Recovery is more than just having a good time and hanging out.
Meetings of every kind is more than just meetings.
It is about THE RESCUE.
The sharing and telling of the gospel that God (yes, the real deal God) has provided a way out of addiction and sin. Not only provided a way out but transforms those who accept the salvation offer into new, living creations.
The sin debt is canceled by the power of Jesus' death and resurrection.
The power of sin, which is at the heart of every addiction, is broken and that individual is set free.

Jude: verse 23 reads: "Save others, snatching them out of the fire......."
That is the mandate that is given to us as believers.
I hurt with an unbearable pain when I watch those who are under the weight of addiction, reject God's truth and continue in their old lifestyle. If I could I would physically arrest them and force them to believe. That is why I'm glad I'm not God. You can't physically force anyone to accept Jesus. All I can do is love them. Love them as God loves them and pray over them that at some point this truth that they have heard, will drive deep into their very being causing them to awake from the dark slumber of sin and addiction.

I want to leave you today with Hope.
I want to leave with Verse 2 from Malachi 4

"But for you who fear My name the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go forth and skip about like calves from the stall."

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...