Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hope In The Lord's Faithfulness

He sat there in the streets with destruction all around him.
Houses empty.
Streets strewn with the remains of possessions dropped by people in a hurry.
Smoke billowed from some of the houses.
The walls and gates of the city now lay in ruins.
The ravens had already begun to descend into the streets looking through the carnage for something to eat.
An entire town had fled.
Hustled and strong armed into captivity by a ruthless country bent on domination.
He sat there in the streets weeping.
Then within his heart he felt a stirring as words began to form in his mind.
With no one around to hear these words he spoke.

"The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this....The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By His mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness. His mercies begin afresh each day. I say to myself, ' The LORD is my inheritance therefore, I will hope in Him.' "   ( Lamentations 3:19 - 23 )

A person trapped in addiction finds themselves in this same place that Jeremiah spoke from.
Sitting there in the ruins of a lifestyle that took everything from them, they are overwhelmed by the sheer magnitude of what they have done.
The thought of what they have lost is overpowering and almost crippling.
It weighs them down with toxic shame, guilt and depression.
They can't see any farther than the destruction they have created through their using.
I like what Jeremiah said though......"Yet I still dare to hope."
That is the point at which recovery begins. I have not given up. I will not quit. I know that God has kept me for a reason, therefore, I will pursue this new life that always seems to be out of reach to me.
Recovery begins when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Filled with the knowledge and understanding that the unfailing love of God never ends is the fuel I use to begin with Step # 1.
Knowing that God sees me differently than I see myself.
He loves me, even if I don't at this time. In fact, He has given me great mercy. How do I know this? Because what I see as destruction in my own life is never as bad as it could have been. God tempers every thing that comes against me with his mercy. That is a God of love.

So no matter what your life looks like this morning.
No matter how much destruction you may have brought on yourself
Dare to hope.
Dare to stretch out your faith, your belief that the mercies of God are made new each morning.
Give yourself to this God who loves you.
Let today be a new day.
It is for me.
Today, as I start out to face whatever is out there, I place myself in the hands of God to be used and directed as He sees fit.
What better place to be than in the hands of God.........

God on you.......
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...