Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Truth...The Whole Truth....And Nothing But The Truth!

I taught from Psalms 51 yesterday. In case you haven't read it or maybe you have but forgotten it.....here is a refresher course.
Principal Player: King David.
Reason of Psalm: David has been busted. Found out about. Dragged into the light.
King David has committed Adultery with Bathsheba who happens to be married to a man who is in King David's army.
After the deed, Bathsheba comes up pregnant. David, being the wise dude he thinks he is, tries to hide what has been done.
Long story short, David has Bathsheba's husband killed.
Now here in Psalm 51, David's closest friend or confidant, a guy name Nathan the prophet uncovers David.
Sidebar-  Don't you just love that name? Nathan the prophet. I mean David should have gotten a clue of who he was dealing with. It wasn't as if he were Nathan the butcher. Or Nathan the horseman. Or even Nathan the garbage collector. No! It was Nathan the prophet. Back to the story.

David opens Psalm 51 with these words:
"Have mercy on me, O God. according to Your lovingkindness. According to the multitude of Your tender mercies."
Translated: I am without excuse. I admit to everything I have done and I throw myself on Your mercy. I deserve everything that You might want to do to me.
Wow! Isn't that a great place to be. No wiggle room. Caught. Undone. No more games. For it is from this place that you can receive healing. It is from this mindset and heart set that you can be forgiven.

David goes on to say in Verse 1;
"Blot out my transgressions"
Take them away. David truly believes that God possesses the power to forgive and remove. You know what? I believe that too. My life is living proof of the power of God. I know me better than any of you do. I know what I am capable of doing if I were to surrender to the flesh (sinful nature). Praise God! He has the power to keep me. I do deny that part of me daily, refusing to allow it to have control of my life. I do take up my cross and follow after Jesus.
Jesus will put something on you that even soap can't take away....

What is it?
Forgiveness...His Holy Spirit.......and a new life.

Verse 3 and 4 read:
"For I acknowledge my transgression, and my sin is always before me.
Against You and You only have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight."

You don't hear that much any more.
"What?" You ask.

Full blown confession and repentance. Accepting full responsibility for his actions.
Think about this....
This is the King we are talking about.
Wonder how many politicians would conduct themselves in this manner today, let alone a sitting President of the United States. Now days, you do spin control, put out misinformation and to put it bluntly....deny, deny, deny.
Not King David.
He knew who he was dealing with. The real deal God. He knew that his only hope was to confess and accept God's discipline for what he had done.
Wow....
I think maybe this is the way to be free from not only drugs or alcohol, but sin as a whole.
Confess....
Repent....
Accept forgiveness....
Be filled with the Holy Spirit...
Follow in what God is telling you to do....
Life.
Abundant life.
With Jesus, this is natural and normal.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...