Friday, July 22, 2011

Blessed am I!

This photo wouldn't mean a lot to most of you. To me it defines a wonderful time in mine and Vicki's life. It was taken at a FALLS FESTIVAL that Christian Brothers held each year at Noccalula falls. It also is very tender to me in that we, those who were a part of Christian Brothers, grew up together. Some married during this time and begin to raise a family. We truly were Christian Brothers (And Sisters) who had a heart for Jesus.

The JESUS PEOPLE movement or revival or whatever you wish to call it, was in it's heyday during this time. Christianity was being changed by the influence that was taking place on the West coast. Not everyone liked what was happening or even believed it to be from God. For those of us who were affected, we were changed forever. Bible studies became the norm for our life. The music, which had been so important to my generation, now took on an even greater significance as new voices emerged with new songs and love for Jesus.

Randy Stonehill, Daniel Amos, Terry and John Michael Talbot, Phil Keaggy, 2nd Chapter of Acts,Randy Matthews, Honeytree, Paul Clark, Pat Terry, Mark Heard and countless others all sang of Jesus, His love and desire to have a relationship with His creation. Funny part in all of this? These sang because of their love for Jesus and to use their talent. It wasn't about money. Mostly because there wasn't any money for these incredible Scribes and Prophets who defined a generation that had found "ONE WAY!" The music gave a voice to hearts that were burning for Jesus. Sounds too good to be true in the light of todays skepticism and what passes as a shallow, self-centered Christianity. We made a lot of mistakes, but at least we were making mistakes trying to follow Jesus. A wise man once said, "There is a lot of grace to mess up in Jesus' name if you are following Him."

So here in Gadsden, Alabama, a group of young people began to meet. To share their faith and music with one another. Word got out and soon others began to show up. The meetings became home.. The meetings became central to our lives. I guess because Christian Brothers was outside the boundaries of any one church, we were considered a threat. We had been accused of being a cult and had been labeled as "off limits" because we were out to pull kids away from church and into the evil clutches of this Jesus People stuff that we espoused. That's o.k. we knew that our desire was simply to have a place to connect, share with each other, study the Bible and hear what new songs had been written by the ones who came.

Now that I look back on my life.
Everything God has had me lay my hand to has been outside of what I consider to be "Mainline denominational church." Does that mean I'm a rebel rouser, a malcontent, a loner? Heavens no. It means that God simply had a place for me to grow and stretch and be who I am today. Being a part of Christian Brothers gave me confidence in my ability to sing and play guitar (not that I am threat to anyone or will be the next American Idol winner). It helped me to grow as a songwriter and be comfortable with my own compositions. Christian Brothers helped me to gain a larger view of the Kingdom of God and understand that the harvest was truly ripe and ready. It opened my eyes to the fact that I had been commissioned by God to be a worker in the harvest.

I am so blessed to have been a small part of this wonderful family.
Thank you Lord!

Beloved, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious oil upon the head. running down on the beard of Aaron. Running down on the edge of His garments. It is like the dew of Hermon, descending upon the mountains of Zion. For there the Lord commanded the blessing....................life forevermore...........Psalm 133.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...