Thursday, July 28, 2011

Resetting The Compass

Sometimes in the middle of tragic events, such as the death of a good friend, we reset our compass as to what is important.
We make adjustments in the way we see things or approach things.
We take stock of our own life and see things about ourselves that we would love to change.
Sometimes, it is God who is resetting us.
Such is the case of my own life.

Yes, I have worked in Recovery for the last 13 years.
Yes, I have been a part of Rapha as a volunteer and staff member.
Yes, I have seen God do some pretty incredible things over the last 17 years.
But I lost sight of what was important in my life.
Who am I?
I have been so busy helping and giving to others, that I forgot who "Michael" was.
On the scale of human endeavors, this isn't a massive mistake or one that would cause the Dow Jones Industrial to drop a gazillion points.
Rather it was a subtle shift in how I view myself and what my purpose is here on this dirt clod that is hurtling through space.

One of the things I teach (Yes, my own words are coming back to haunt me) is that, "God is more concerned with who you are becoming than He is in what you are doing." Why do I say that? Because I have discovered that I am who God wants me "TO BE"...the "DOING" will come natural. It seems as though people have this idea backwards. "I will do so that this will prove who I am becoming."  All outward behavior is because of an inward belief. Change the heart......change the mind......change the mind...........the behavior will follow. So, in a nutshell, I got so caught up in doing, I lost track of being.

I am, first and foremost, a Vineyard Pastor. As such, I hold dear to values and priorities that are found in the Theological & Philosophical Statement that is center to every Vineyard Church. These values helped me to understand who I am in Christ and what God expects of me. I lost sight of this. Through listening to Keith Green teach I was stirred to revisit some older teachings. With each one I listened to, I could feel God at work in me. As if He were pulling back to a place of balance in my life where I could receive some healing and restoration. God truly was whispering to me, "Michael, don't forget who you are in Me."  For this I am grateful. Why am I writing this? I'm not really sure except to say that I believe we all need to revisit some teachings or writings or music that help to define us early on in our relationship with Christ. Time has a way of putting blinders on you if you are not careful and you loose sight of what God has laid out before you.

I believe that my highest calling (as is with all who are followers of Jesus) is to worship the LORD.
Worship through my life. Everything I do......Everything I say........Everything I think....should reflect His goodness and holiness. My life has been given to me by Him, so why should I not simply live it out for His glory and goodness? Weird thinking ain't it?

Ephesians 5:1 reads: Follow God's example in everything you do. KJV reads...."Be imitator's of God.
How can I imitate unless I see and understand. It didn't read, "Make up how you think God would live and act." It says we are to imitate Him. I have to "see" Him in order to become like Him. How do I see Him?
I thought you'd never ask. Matthew 5:8 - Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Get my heart in order by letting God's Holy Spirit change the way I think and do business in this ol' world. In other words, let God change my character and remove all the defects and replace them with the "good stuff" that can come only from God.

I know that today I am grateful that God's love for me has not waned nor faltered. Any failure in this relationship fall squarely on my shoulders. I am thankful for God's authority and power to break through any human effort or thought that is contrary to His will. I am thankful today for my salvation. It is going to be a good day.

God on you....
mb

1 comment:

David Finlayson said...

I miss hanging with Michael.
I miss playing with Michael.
I miss Michael.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...