Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hope

Romans 4:18
In hope against hope he believed, in order that he might become a father of many nations, according to that which had been spoken, "So shall your descendants be."

Abraham....
Old and growing older by the minute.
God has promised him a son to fulfill the promise He made.
The clock is ticking.
Every morning, when Abraham got up, he felt the years in his body. With every ache and groan...with every sore muscle and physical problem, Abraham was made painfully aware that time was moving on and there was no "Son of promise."
Every time Abraham looked at Sarah, he saw a woman who was beyond child bearing years. Yet, in all of this physical evidence that piled up against a promise that had been made by God, Abraham never waved in his faith in God.

That is where I want to be in my relationship with Jesus.
I want to, as the verse puts it, "Hope against hope."
There is a hope that the world confers on humanity.
An empty hope.
A pie-in-the-sky kind of hope that has no basis for reality. We hope simply because that is the thing to do.
Kind of like when I hoped I would pass my Algebra II test, knowing full well I had not done anything to make it a reality. But boy did I hope! My hope was founded on nothing and, as such, that is what I received...a boatload of nothing.

There is a hope born in the heart of God that is passed down to those who are followers of Jesus. It is a hope that is deterred or defined by this world. IT is divine hope. IT is heavenly hope. IT is real hope. Hope that looks at two people whose bodies are incapable of having a son, then proclaims, "YES! There will be a soon. Hope that defies the impossible and scoffs at those who make fun of it. Hope that builds an ark before the flood. Hope that shuts the mouths of lions. Hope that raises people from the dead and gives sight to the blind. Hope that transfers people from the clutches of hell into the glorious living of the Kingdom of God.
That is HOPE!

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frain but wholly lean on Jesus name
On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...