Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Joy

Synonyms for JOY


1. rapture. 4. bliss. See pleasure.

Most definitions contain the idea of an emotion that places an individual in a stable, upbeat frame of mind.

I think when referring to "JOY" in Christ, it refers to a weighing out and taking stock of situations.
One looks at their current state, no matter how good or how bad and weighs what they see against the promises of God.

James 1:2-4 (The Message Bible) reads:
Consider it a sheer gift (this Joy of the Lord) when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is force into the open and shows its true colors.

I think maybe this should be the norm for believers. Truth be known, I 've got a lot of growing to do. Whenever things come my was that are trials or testings or persecutions, my first inclination is the circle the wagons and go under ground to survive. What if that isn't really survival in the Kingdom of God? What if survival with God is finding this joy and letting it permeate my every thought so that I can stand and face the storm? What if JOY is the root of strength? What if strength is a byproduct of God's Joy. How can I stand physically unless I am strengthened by faith internally?

I'm not talking about a goofy-giddy, lets party today for tomorrow we die, kind of joy. I am speaking of a joy that is almost beyond comprehension with our minds, but fully understood in our spirits. I read where God will guard our hearts and give us a peace that by passes understanding. Translated: God's peace will not be able to be comprehended by your brain or thought process, but rather by the assurance you feel deep inside. I believe it is the same with the Joy of the Lord.

John 15:11 - I've told you these things for a purpose; that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature.
In other words, there is a growth process to joy. We need not settle for the kindergarten, child-like joy but rather strive for the mature joy in Christ. All along the way, enjoy every type of joy God brings to you.

Acts 13:52- And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.
Seems that these two seem to be traveling companions.....joy and the Holy Spirit. I think they are. I think where you find one, you find the other.
But what happens when we live God's way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard ---things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart......
In other words:
The fruit of God's Spirit as it works inside of us is evident as a manifestation of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. These will appear in our daily lives.
Joy is a fruit or evidence of the Holy Spirit in us at work.

Joy from God gives me a new perspective about myself and my surroundings.
This world is no longer my home. I have a home in heaven.
I live here.
I work here.
I am a part of this community, but only as far as it relates to me sharing the Kingdom of God with those around me.
I do not want to put down my roots so deep here, that I cannot pull free and move when God tells me to.
That I find the Joy of the Lord in everything I do.
In everything I say...
In every one I reach out to love.
May the joy be infectious.

God on you.....
mb





No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...