Friday, August 12, 2011

Never Will Happen!!!

Lamentations 4:12
The kings of the earth did not believe, nor did any of the inhabitants of the world, that the adversary and the enemy could enter the gates of Jerusalem.

Lamentations is a book of wailings that were read annually by the Jews as a reminder of the fall of Jerusalem and the destruction of the temple. They were a reminder of an avoidable tragedy caused by sin. A reminder of a God who judges but who keeps His covenant forever.

The Jews believed that since the temple of God was in Jerusalem, then nothing would ever happen to them. Rather than a place where the people would go to honor and worship God, the temple became more of a good luck charm that would ward away the enemy. How wrong. Maybe that is why Jesus spoke the words of Isaiah to the Pharisees in Matthew chapter 15-- This people honors Me with their lips, but their heart is far away from Me. The Jews had it all down pat. They could say the prayers, sing the songs, look the part and even cry on cue, but the heart was far away dreaming of other lovers and things that had taken the rightful place God should occupy. If you went to the temple, you'd be hard pressed to point out who was living blameless before God and who was simply doing the "religious" thing. But God knew. God always knows. He looks at the heart. He discerns the intent and motive behind what we are doing ( See I Samuel 16:7).   That is why we must humble ourselves before God. Humble: To agree with God who God says we are--The ability to follow instructions. The recognition that we are the creation and He is the creator. That everything we are, everything we have, everything we do is simply because God allows us to. I draw my next breath because God, who loves me, says I can. My heart beats one more time because God has decreed that it should. Now if God can do all of this, would it not benefit me to recognize Him for who He truly is? To acknowledge His will and submit to it?

Father God....
Thank you for today. May I never fall into a religious behavior that tries to hide any sin from you. May I live under the guidance of Your Holy Spirit who leads me into all truth. May I submit to your truth and live in freedom today.
In Jesus Name....
Amen.

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...