Friday, August 5, 2011

Oswald Chambers "My Utmost For His Highest"

Today's reading in Oswald Chambers devotion caused me to see God in a new way. I guess more than that, I saw myself in a new way that has caused me to rethink some old suppositions I have held on to.

Chambers writes about the disciples listening to Jesus describe what must happen to him when they arrive in Jerusalem.
Luke 18:34
And they understood none of these things, and this saying was hidden from them, and they did not comprehend the things that were said.

Seems to me that I have allowed myself to build upon my relationship with Jesus with my own understanding and the prideful thought that I am smart and can discern the great mysteries of God. How foolish I am to think that in my own human effort, I can dissect the intents and wisdom of God. God has no need to divulge the secrets of the Kingdom to me. His is to simply say, "Follow me." My part is simply to follow resting in the knowledge that God is in control.

Chambers writes:
There comes the baffling call of God in our lives also. The call of God can never be stated explicitly. It is implicit. The call of God is like the call of the sea, no one hears it but the one who has the nature of the sea in him. It cannot be stated definitely what the call of God is to, because His call is to be in comradeship with Himself for His own purposes, and the test is to believe that God knows what He is after. The things that happen do not happen by chance, they happen entirely in the decree of God. God is working out his purposes.

This is why Jesus' call to "FOLLOW ME" is so strange to us. My lack of trust in Jesus propels me to ask Him, "Where are we going? What will we do when we get there? How long will be gone." If truth be known, my questions reveal the selfishness that burns in my heart. In my own little dark world, it is still all about me. "I'll follow Jesus but you have to fill me in on all the particulars."
Jesus' call is very simple.
Leave everything and follow.

Jesus led his disciples to a place where their hearts were broken.

Chambers goes on to write.
Jesus Christ's life was an absolute failure from every standpoint but God's. But what seemed like failure from man's standpoint was a tremendous triumph from God's because God's purpose is never man's purpose.

If we are in communion with God and recognize that He is taking us into His purposes, we shall no longer try to find out what His purposes are.
We will simply trust and obey. There is rest and peace in ceasing from our striving as we walk with Jesus. There is a calmness that will be given to us as we simply assume the pace and receive the grace of our Lord.
Find that place today.....
And live.

God on you....
mb

1 comment:

emilyelizabeth said...

mannn... that's good.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...