Monday, August 1, 2011

We Are Laster Than We've Ever Been

The title of the posting today comes from a statement made by John Wimber. When asked if he thought we were living in the last days, he replied that he did believe we were in such a time. When pressed about the return of Jesus, John replied, "I don't know about that...I just know that we are laster than we've ever been."

I Timothy 4:1
Now the Holy Spirit tells us that in the last times some will turn away from what we believe. They will follow lying spirits and teachings that come from demons.

I really never thought I'd see the day when the teachings of the church was become so distant from the Word of God. Now before you think I'm crawling up on a soapbox or a high horse, believe me when I say that I'm not trying to be the spokesperson for the Church. I simply want to point out one of the oldest lies ever perpetrated on the human race.

If you turn on your television....
If you go to any Christian Bookstore....
You will find the following in some shape, form or fashion.

Unlock The Door To Your Destiny.....
10 Steps To Your Hidden Blessing.....
Find Your Hidden Blessing To A Better Life....
The Mysteries of God Revealed......

The idea behind such books and DVD's is that you, as the average Christian, are missing out on something that God has kept hidden from you.
Now call me strange, but that sounds a lot like what the serpent told the woman back in the garden of Eden.

Genesis 3:5 - God knows that your eyes will be opened when you eat it. You will become just like God, knowing everything both good and evil."
Do you see the subtle way the serpent infers that God has been holding out on the woman?
"God doesn't want you to eat the fruit because when you do, you'll be just like Him."
Of course the rest is history.
She ate.
He ate.
God came down.
"Everyone out of the pool."
Here I sit today in a fallen world.
But mankind still suffers from wanting to be like God.
I call it the Jesus "+" system.
Knowing Jesus Christ and acknowledging Him as my Lord and Savior isn't enough. There has to be something else that will get me closer to God. I don't want to be an average-everyday-run-of-the-mill believer. I want to be SUPER Christian. I don't want to do anything to get there...just show me the short cut.
I don't believe there are such things as Super Christians. People with inside knowledge on the workings of God.

You are either a believer or your are not.
If you are a believer then certain behaviors and attitudes should be evident because of it.
Paul kind of hints at what it takes to follow Jesus.
He writes in Verse 10 - 
We work hard and suffer much in order that people will believe the truth, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and particularly of those who believe.

Did I read that right?
"We work hard."
"We suffer much."
Wow! How do you think that would look on a book cover in the local Christian Bookstore?
Imagine walking through the front door and there on a display you see....
"Key's to successful living in Jesus: Work hard--Suffer much".
Think there would be a run on that best seller?

How about simply love the Lord You God with all your heart, with all your strength, with all your mind, with all that is within you."
Then, love those around you.....but do so as you love yourself.
Simple isn't it?
Don't be lead astray by promises of something beyond what the Scriptures say.
The devil simply wants to deter you into looking for the easier, softer way to Jesus.
The way to Jesus is found at the cross...no where else.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...