Friday, September 2, 2011

1986 - 1989

Three years I spent with a group, a band, named HIS BAND. Started out calling ourselves "Sons & Brothers." Every time we played, people would ask, "Which one are sons and which one are brothers?" They didn't get the subtle message that we were sons of God and brothers to each other, hence the move to HIS BAND.

Billy Anderson played Keyboards, guitar and vocals. Truly as talented an individual as I have ever met. Billy was the unofficial spokesman and leader of our band.
Devan Jackson also played keyboard and guitar along with singing. Devan and Billy co-wrote several of our songs we played. This was the first group I had ever been a part of that wrote their own material. There was such a diverse sound that came from HIS BAND. Blues......Rock......Really good ballads and love songs to Jesus. Being a part of this group brought me into the song writing circle. I had tried my hand at writing and wasn't very good at it, but felt the desire to make a real effort. I think eventually we wound up playing about 5 or 6 of the songs I had written. I listen to the tapes and some of the music is really 1980's sounding, while others still hold up today.

David (the snake) Tucker played bass. And could David Tucker play bass or what? He was incredible. Just for the record we gave him the nick name "the snake" simply because we liked the sound of it. David was never really crazy about it when we would introduce him that way. Talk about laying down a groove or bottom, Dave was Mr. Bass man. He is, without a doubt, the best bass player I have played with lo these 46 years of my musical whimsery (is that a word? Well, it is now). We even thought changing the name of the group to Captain Dave and his Renengade Riders of The Dessert Night!
Catchy huh? We went through all sort of names.............Chrome Dog Bone..... Unborn Linoleum....Poo Nanny and the Barn Stormers. Not really, these are names I made up for bands that I never played in. Confused yet?

The main purpose or calling that we felt as a band, was to take the music into places that did not have an opportunity to see or hear Contemporary bands. Small churches and fellowships seem to be the focus of where God was directing us. We began to travel all over the state and into part of Florida as one group told another about us. Funny thing is all of this, we never charged anyone for us to come. We didn't even ask for a love offereing. We simply went knowing that we would be the beneficiary of God's grace and love. We never had visions of grandeaur or fame. We simply wanted to play and share Jesus with whomever would listen. We had no false pretense about our ability or considered ourselves to be a great band. We were just four guys who loved Jesus and music. Put the two together and that was His Band.

For the record, my good friend, David Finlayson, designed the card you see at the top for us. Always the consumate artist, David is hero. David writes songs on a scale that boggles the mind. After my days with His Band were over, I found myself connected to David playing under the name DREAMER. I could go on and on about who I've played with and such, but I won't. Suffice it to say that here, today, September 2, 2011, God still continues to pour out the gift of music and worship to me. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I'd still be playing today. Each time I get to strap on my guitar and join in worship unto God.................well, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Thanks for letting me wander through memories for a while...

God on you....

mb


No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...