Monday, September 19, 2011

Breathing Praise

Psalm 150:6
Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

I found myself seated in a very traditional church yesterday morning.
Folks milling about before the service, talking and sharing with one another.
The choir and orchestra finding their places as the pastor made his way up on to the stage to be seated.
The music director (er...Minister of Music...titles have changed) was making last minute notations on his copy of the music.
Ushers were greeting every one who came into the sanctuary. The young people seemed to have carved out a section of pews for themselves. Conversations of school, dates, football and the lesson that morning in Sunday School could be heard rising up from this group. The thought came to me..."Enjoy this time boys and girls, for the real adult life is just around the corner. That which you have strained to lay hold of will soon be upon you and life will never be the same."

An older man stands to the pulpit and welcomes every one. The music starts and we are encouraged to stand and shake hands with those around us. Several come to greet me asking if I live in the area, am I just visiting and offers for me to become a member of this church. I welcome them all because they seemed to be genuine and caring toward me. There is a sense of family in this room. A warmness that is not artificial or forced.

The choir stands.
The Minister of Music cues the instrumentalist with a wave of his hand.
The music starts.
IT tells of the time of our day imposed over that day outside the city of Jerusalem when one man took the sins of the world up a hillside and gave himself to a cross. The music rises with passion and those incredible words come forth from the choir....."It if finished.....yes it is finished." Suddenly I am very much aware that the presence of God has filled this room. With each word, each note, I find my heart racing with the idea that never has truer words been spoken. It is finished. And it is because of this finished work that I can live in freedom and have relationship with Jesus Christ. The power of sin has been broken. The penalty of sin has been shattered, and the presence of sin has been dealt with. Praise God! It is finished.
I didn't go to this church looking for such a moment to happen. That is the neat "surprise" work of God when He brings about these moments. For a brief time, every person in that room forgot about their problems and the things that seem to dog them every day. Minds and hearts were turned to the very words "IT IS FINISHED!" 

As the song continued, people began to stand all over the sanctuary. Some raised their hands in a kind of surrender to God. Some clapped. There were strains of "Amen" and "Praise Jesus" all over the room. I knew that I was in the middle of worship and that the most important thing was for every one present to give back to God that worship and glory He deserves.

As for me....
We could have left after than song was finished. We had seen the presence and glory of God in our midst.
Who could ask for anything more?

God on you....
mb

3 comments:

Bobby said...

I thank God for the variety of Churches and for different expressions of worship. God is good!

Greene Street Letters said...

I don't know where we get off on thinking that we have the edge and license on how to worship God.I'm kind of like John Wimber when he was traveling around with C. Peter Wagner to all these different churches...No matter which one they went to, the comment was made..."You know, if I lived in this town, I'd want to be a part of this church."

Bobby said...

I loved that about John Wimber! He loved the Church.

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...