Monday, September 26, 2011

C'mon Down! The Price Is Right

What a wonderful weekend. Vicki and I drove over to Athens, Georgia to visit with Josh, our son, and Heather, our daughter-in-law. Just good to have some face time with the two of them. Lot's of movie trivia and laughter. Good food and good company. Found a new route to take and it cut 30 - 40 minutes off the route we previously had been taking to Athens. 

This coming Saturday night, Seth Barber will be speaking at our meeting at Rapha. Looking forward to this, as Seth always bring a word with him. Always relevant and to the point........something we can hang our hats on (so to speak). Something we can put in our hearts that can make a difference in our daily lives.
Be in prayer for Seth that God would speak to him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew 13:45
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant seeking beautiful pearls, who, when he has found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Kingdom of heaven? What is that? Lot of different men, much smarter than me all have different ideas and thoughts as to this phrase. Some believe it to be heaven itself. Some believe it to be God's rule here on earth (thy kingdom come...they will be done on earth as it is in heaven). I tend to lean to the latter. The kingdom of heaven is God's rule and reign here on earth in the lives of His children. 

The verse gives the impression that this kingdom is worth more than anything here on earth. More than gold, oil, money, greed, power....insert what ever you would like to....the kingdom of heaven's value exceeds anything found here in this world. In fact, in the parable, Jesus says a man finds, after seeking and searching, this pearl of great price (Kingdom of heave) and sells everything he has to possess it. Sells every thing. What fall under every thing? Every thing! Even after selling it, the man turns over the proceeds to the owner of the pearl and said pearl become the only possession he has. This kingdom of heaven becomes central to the man's life. He no longer has anything of value here in this world, at least not of value as the world dictates value.

Funny but relationship with Jesus is the same way as the transaction for the pearl.
So many folks try to spiritualize the parables of Jesus. "Well, he didn't really mean we have to give up every thing to be in relationship with Him?" Didn't he? I think clarity comes as you realize that you actually do not own anything. Every thing I possess is simply because God allows me to borrow for a time until my death or he needs it back. I truly do not own anything. So why would I want to be heavy handed and let greed fill my life and vision to fight and claw to keep something of this world? I would rather be free from the bondage of real ownership of the "stuff" of this earth. Now this brings up another thought. "Does God mind me having stuff? No! God doesn't want "Stuff" to have you. He doesn't want a divided heart that wants to serve Him, but retain love for the world and the trappings that come with it. Hold everything loosely and follow this God. That is where the real life is.

A giving up of every thing.
My life....
My family....
My home....
My possessions.....
My friends.....
My job......
My talent......
anything I find value in, I surrender to God.
Why?
So I can receive from God every thing I need to walk out this life here on earth according to His plan for me.
Ain't that cool.....

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...