Friday, September 16, 2011

I'm Outta Here!

Mark 1:18
"And they left their nets at once and went with Him."

First question: Who left their nets?
Answer: The future disciples who would be with Jesus for three years.

Next question? Went with who?  Jesus.

These men left physical, tangible evidence of what their old lifestyle had been like, in order to follow a man they perceived to have knowledge into the future. They left their nets. Those nets were a marker.....a definition of who these men were. The nets represented their occupation. They represented their social status in life at that time. The nets were tied (no pun intended here) to these men and were the very things used to feed their families and pay their bills. Yet here in this verse, we read where they left the nets in order to follow Jesus. Truth be known, nets without fishermen are truly useless.

There was something about this Jesus that drew these men unto him. Was the unspoken promise of adventure? Was it because one of them had come to the conclusion that Jesus was the Messiah? It didn't matter, what was glaring and in your face was the simple fact that these men left everything to go with Jesus.

Kind of the way it is suppose to be today. I have given my life to Jesus. He owns it. He gives me direction, and part of that direction is to leave my old life.................and all the trappings that defined that life. I leave old friends..........I leave old places..............and, in some cases, old family members.
Following Jesus after being in addiction, truly is a parting of the ways, moving into new areas. It is scary and sometimes overwhelming because we fear change. Yet change is the nature of life and the Kingdom of God.

Matthew 6:33-34 reads: Steep your life in the reality of God, the initiative of God, the provisions of God. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns (and needs) will be met. (Message Bible).

KJV says we are to "SEEK" the rule and reign of God in our life (The Kingdom of God). That we are to pursue His Righteousness (or rightness) and He (God) will add all these things to our life. What things? Our needs. SO if my needs are met daily, then that frees me up to simply follow Him. No matter what change may come my way, Jesus is the constant I can lean on. NO matter what pops up to throw me off or disrupt my new found life, Jesus is the solid, sure place where I can stand and not be tossed around emotionally, physically or spiritually, but rest in Him.

So I guess the question today is:
"Are you still carrying around the "nets" from your old life, or have you discarded them in order to follow Jesus?"

Father God...
Today, I lay my nets down. I ask that you remove them from my life so I can follow you in freedom and from being hindered by my "nets." Thank you for life today and for the blessings you have already given to me this morning. Help me to hear you today. Help me to only listen to you and follow you through out this 24 hours you have placed before me. I thank you for my sobriety today and that you do love me and have a plan for me this day.
Bless your Holy Name....
In Jesus' name....
Amen.

Have a great day!
God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...