Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pass It On

II Kings 2:9
When they came to the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, "What can I do for you before I am taken away?" And Elisha replied, "Please let me have (or receive) a double portion  of your mantle (Spirit/ Authority)."

This could be a tirade against this generation from my perspective, but I am not going there.
I can hear the words of the generation we replaced still ringing in my ears. Needless to say they weren't kind words or encouraging words. I think every generation that has it's time in the sun and then finds itself being replaced by an up and coming generation has trouble with the whole shift in influence. There is a tendency to push to remain relevant instead of simply doing and being who God has called you to be. In other words, stay true to who you are in Christ. It is kind of like all those churches who "decided" to do a contemporary worship service in order to cash in on getting their share of the market. Some who went this route did so, not because God told them to, but because they thought it was a good ideal. Turned out they looked like the King Family Christmas Special (Boy...did I date myself with that one or what?)

The one thing I have tried to do though, is be respectful of the ones who made it possible for me to do and be where I am today. Those upon whose shoulders I stand. Those who paid a price for me to be able to minister and be a part of God's Kingdom today. I never want to forget or not honor those who came before me. Those who poured their life into me and countless others passing on a legacy that is far greater than any individual or group.

In my own life, it seems as though every where God has placed me has been  outside of the main line, traditional churches. During my senior year in high school, I found myself drawn to Campus Crusade for Christ. The staff was from California and was fresh from the Jesus People Movement. They found themselves down here in the buckle of the Bible belt with all these ideas that weren't very common in churches around here. They taught us and encouraged us that we could "Do the Stuff" that Jesus did. We could be leaders. We were given opportunities to lead Bible studies among other students. They created a place where kids from all over could congregate on Saturday night and have a really incredible time. THE OTHER DOOR coffee house became the place to be. Singer/songwriters by the score poured through those doors and share their music.  It was a movement that empowered my generation to seek first the kingdom of God. Funny part in all of this, Campus Crusade was never aloof or apart from the local churches. They made every effort to be connected and share what their vision was for Gadsden.
It was in the times that I spent with Campus Crusade that I had the seeds planted that have produced God's fruit in me today.

Because of my own experiences, I have tried to pour out and encourage those around me who are coming up. In my case, it is the addict or alcoholic that is breaking free from the slavery of addiction. God has been very gracious to allow me to teach, pray and love over these men. I truly do ask God to give this generation who will take our place, a double portion of the anointing and authority that was entrusted to my generation. I pray that we were, and are, good stewards of God's kingdom. I pray that our efforts have not been fueled by flesh or human will but directed and empowered by God's Holy Spirit. It has been the wildest ride of my life and I haven't regretted one moment at all.

God on you.....
mb
p.s.-------ONE WAY!!!!

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...