Thursday, September 8, 2011

Play Nice

Acts 2:44
And all those who had believed were together and had all things in common.

The church would really like to live like this.
Problem is, the church tends to create a need and then ask everyone who attends to join in and support the common need.
I believe that needs come up without someone pointing them out saying, "Look we need to funnel our energy or money (or both) into the is area. God creates a common purpose and a common thought among believers.
There is such a thing as unity and purpose in the real-deal church of Jesus Christ.
I'm not talking about the professing church. The denominational group that meets at a certain time in a certain building. I'm talking about the free-flowing church made up of believers who belong to denominational churches. There is a unity that binds them together with others. I have several good brothers and sisters who belong to other denominations. When we get together, there is a common thought and vision that is given by God. We find out through our conversations that God is doing a work across the board that has a common destiny or purpose to it. Even though we may not have had contact or talked about  it, we find out that we have all been on the same page, so to speak, and have been following God's directives.

The big view in our country today is that "we have strength through out diversity." To me that is absurd. How do you gain strength through being separate and divided. There are calls to be tolerant of each other. That works fine until you declare your allegiance to Jesus and then your branded a right-wing radical extremist fundamentalist and about a gazillion other names. It is the Holy Spirit that lives in us that creates this common view, common purpose and common life that we all share.

In the true church of Jesus, when we declare that we have all things in common. We are declaring that our lives  (1.) are not our own. We are under the Lordship of Jesus and, as such, we are given to following his direction and his directives in our daily lives. No longer are we swayed by the darkness of addiction. We are free to pursue the life laid out for us by Jesus.  (2) we declare that the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few (No..this isn't scripture...I stole it from STAR TREK II Wrath of Khan). It's no longer all about me, me, me. It's about Jesus.........my love for Him, my love of my neighbor based on how much I love myself. The hardest part of addiction is turning from a self-centered life to a life a giving away to others. But here in the giving is where we find the return from God. Whatever I possess, I can never truly out give God. He returns to me as fast as I give it away. Now that I've said that, please don't equate the "giving" with material things, or the receiving as to material possessions. God returns to us that which money cannot buy nor any man able to lay a price to.
Peace of  mind. Assurance of salvation. Contentment for today. The love of friends and family. Laughter. Healing. His Grace and mercy. The list can go on and on and on.

Having all things in common means that Jesus Christ is center to everything in our life.
He is Lord over my life.
He is the Savior and giver of salvation to me.
He my brother and calls me friend.
I am His child and sheep.
What more could I ask for?
Nothing.

God on you....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...