Saturday, September 3, 2011

Psalm 119:1-11

Step # 11
We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contacts with God, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out.

There are a heap of nay-sayers out there who love to hate on the Twelve Steps.
They have every reason why it doesn't work.
Why it's supposedly a bunch of hooey-balooey.
But how can you argue with someone whose life reflects the goodness of God through the salvation they received from following these 12 steps?
Seems to me that a person with an experience will beat a person with an argument every time.

Psalms 119:3 reads: They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in his paths.
Imagine that.
Someone who was once trapped in sin that manifested itself through addiction now is not compromising with evil. Has nothing to do with evil. Shuns evil. Lives for God not just through words, but deeds. Deeds steeped in faith. Deeds that come because of a heart change and not an intellectual decision.

I like Step # 11 in that we are asking God for direction and, when it is shown to us, the power to walk it out to the fullest. Not half-steppers here. It is all in for this new way of doing business with the world.

In Verse 11 we read: I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
How can I hide the word unless I know the word?
It is important that we read the Bible....Study the Bible.....Get it all down in us. Memorize verses.
Let the Bible become as much a part of our recovery (if not more) as the steps are.
The Bible is truth, and I have found that I flourish when I am surrounded by it rather than the darkness addiction brought.
If you read in Matthew 4, the story of Jesus' wilderness temptation, you'll read where the devil came to tempt Jesus. With each temptation, Jesus countered with Scripture. It wasn't a big "who-is-the-most-powerful" type of fight. Jesus simply "out-truthed" the devil. Amazing how powerful the truth is, especially when it is the truth of God.

Think on these things........
God on you.......

mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...