Friday, October 14, 2011


Funny how no one sets out to be old. You hope that you live a long life but it really doesn't become a goal. It just kind of slips up on you. You're so focused on raising a family....holding down a job (sorry, I never had a career) and just making it through the day. But then one day it happens. It might be on your birthday or maybe you're getting ready to attend a high school reunion, but you are suddenly aware that you have accumulated a number of your years.

Being older isn't a bad thing. I know that there are those who want to hold on to youth so they try all manner of surgeries and creams, tonics and potions that will help them find the elusive fountain of youth.
Not me.
I am who I am and I am quiet comfortable in that place.
Learning to be content with today is important for me.
It helps me to stay balanced spiritually as well as mentally and physically.
The apostle Paul writes about this in Philippians 4
"Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need."

Did you catch all the scenarios that Paul mentioned concerning his living conditions?
He had much...he had little.

He had a full stomach.....he had an empty stomach.
The secret was looking to Christ.
Jesus is our sufficiency in all things. When we have lack, Christ becomes the portion that fills me up.
I know...
Your thinking..."Michael, you spiritualizing everything." Duh? Yes I am.
Because the spiritual side of the Kingdom is what brings in the rule and reign of Jesus right here in the natural. Did Jesus not interact with those around him when he walked here among us? Yes. Did he not heal in an effort to draw people attention to the Kingdom of God? Yes he did. Did he not feed the hungry so that they could see the love of God in action as 5 fish sticks and two biscuits became the currency of the Kingdom of God and fed 5000+? Yes he did.

Looking to Jesus as my  sufficiency put me at odds with this world.
Yet looking to Jesus as my sufficiency in everything, enables me to live here in this world.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Did you notice Paul never said, "I can do all things through Christ, while I am young."
In fact, the older I get, the more sure I am of who Jesus is.....
and...
What he will do.
There are some incredible benefits from seeing a few years...and it's more than a senior coffee at Jack's.
Relish life no matter what age you are.
If you are older, then enjoy the gift of memories that God has given to you.
Think on the good things...
The good relationships you have experienced....
Laugh today. That is important. Not enough people laugh anymore.
Love today...
Speak first to someone today before they speak to you...."Good morning! Great day ain't it?"
Talk to your heavenly Father....
Take time to listen to what he wants to say in return.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...