Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday Musings

Lot of pain out there.
Many calls over this past weekend from people who were struggling.
Thoughts of using again.....
Thoughts of giving up.....
Thoughts of "it's just too hard to go on."
Yet even though these thoughts were present and even powerful in the minds of those who called, behind it was the voice of God telling them, "Don't give in...Don't give up.....persevere."

Jesus spoke in John 8:31-32 saying, "If you continue in my word (following and doing what I have commanded) then you are my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
If I focus myself in the Word of God (not a very popular thing to do) and do what He said do, then I truly am a follower of Jesus. By living this way, a byproduct is that I will know the truth. Not a head knowledge knowing, but rather a heart knowing and it is this truth that will make me free.

There are a lot of books out there competing for the place that the Bible should hold in our lives. Books that seem to be current and culturally acceptable. Slick covers with nice illustrations promise to propel us to the next level as we seek a better life. Truth is the Bible is the only "living" book in existence. It is living because when it is coupled with the Holy Spirit of God, it does speak in such a way that we are changed.

No matter what happens to me....
No matter what thought seeks to invade my brain and my mind....
I turn to the Word of God to find answers and solace whenever I am attacked.
In verse 12 of this same chapter in John, we read I am the light of the world. He that follows me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. Jesus, no matter what you think or believe, is the source of illumination and truth in this world. That hasn't changed nor will it ever. You are either walking (following directions and guidance) by the truth of God, or you are walking by the lies of the devil.
Yes, Virginia...there is a devil. Oh he doesn't wear red long-johns and have a pointy tail, carrying a pitch fork. But he is real.

Know that hard things happen to us all in this life.
Know that there will be times you will want to give up because life is just too hard.
But know that Jesus will strengthen you and carry you through these moments when we seem over whelmed.
He is a good God!

God on you...
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...