Thursday, October 6, 2011

Wowzers!

I Thessalonians 5:28  (Message Bible)
The amazing grace of Jesus Christ be with you!

Paul's closing remarks (paraphrased) in the book of I Thessalonians. More than cute words. More than an intellectual exercise. More than religious jargon. This is life.
Grace of Jesus Be with us.
Grace?
Defined by James Ryles as The empowering presence of God in me that enables me to be who God has created me to be and do what God has called me to do.
Grace.
IT is the POWER that we've been looking for in the 12 Steps.  Who is the empowering presence of God in me?  The Holy Spirit. It is the indwelling of God's Holy Spirit, changing me, restoring me, renewing me. In other words, God has me as a work in progress.
The Holy Spirit is removing the power of my sin nature through my salvation. The Holy Spirit is removing the penalty of sin through the shed  blood of Jesus imputed to me through that Salvation. The Holy Spirit is removing the presence of sin through the forgiveness given to my by heavenly Father.
All a work of Grace.

In II Thessalonians, Paul closes out that particular letter with the words, "The incredible grace of our Master, Jesus Christ, be with all of you!" Paul recognizes that the grace of God is something not to be taken lightly. That grace exhibits qualities and attributes that are far above our human condition. In fact the intervention and injection of God's grace into a life brings change on an unprecedented level. As the big book of A.A. says....."God does for me what I could not do for myself."
II Timothy 3:22 closes with the words, "God be with you. Grace be with you." There must be something to this grace for it to be mentioned over and over.
Grace is the work of God in my life that changes me.
It changes the way I view myself.
Grace changes the way I make decisions.
Grace keeps my attention away from my own selfishness and focuses me on what God desires me to do.
Grace is the gift that allows me to stand on the foundation of Jesus Christ, so that no matter what the world may throw my way, I will not be swayed or moved away from Him.

Grace.....
Don't leave home without it.

God on you.....
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...