Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Good Night Was Had By All

Last night we celebrated the Campbell Christmas, my wife's side of the family. Truth be known, they are more like family sometimes than my own. She is from a large family, 5 brothers and sisters, and me, being from a small family, one brother, it was a bit overwhelming at first. The Bynum family Christmas was orderly and peaceful and very quiet as we unwrapped our gifts one at a time so mother could see what we had received. On the other hand, my wife's family is like something from a Keystone Cops movie. Organized chaos. Everyone talking at once. Someone on their hands and knees picking up presents, calling the name out and then chunking said present with Joe Montana precision across the room to a Campbell receiver who snatched it out of the air like Jerry Rice on the run.
You take 5 brothers and sisters, along with their respective wifes or husbands... and add kids to the mix. Then on top of that genealogical hierarchy put some grand kids and then great grand kids and you got yourselves a hoo-ha! Such is the Campbell Christmas.

We gathered at the Sardis Community Center for the sware'. Why Sardis? It's is kind of a halfway point for everyone to travel to. Ton's of food and laughter. Little kids running every where screaming and playing "Tag..you're it!" It was a time to catch up on the individual clan's year. Vicki's brother, Mike, was recovering from back surgery and doing well. He and Dianne, his wife, had made enough ham and turkey sandwiches to take care of the entire Russian Army during the winter of 09. There was Deb, my sister-in-law, and her vegetable soup. She told me that she had made it a little hotter than she intended. Jalapenos will do it every time. For me, the soup was heaven with cornbread. I do love me some good soup. Thanks Deb!

Larry, another brother and husband of hot soup making Deb, shared stories of a reunion he had recently attended. Larry is a retired Colonel from the Marine Corp and the men he served with during Viet Nam held a reunion in Washington D.C. Larry wasn't sure whether or not he wanted to attend, but finally opted to go. He is extremely glad he did and the stories he shared were humdingers.  U-rah!

Presents for the little kids and dirty Santa for the adults brought squeals and screams. Errrr..from the tykes not the grown ups. I had my eye on a popcorn serving set but alas, it was not to be. Dianne, the sandwich making machine, wound up with the prize popcorn set. Me? I got a copy of Oswald Chambers My Utmost For His Highest. Not bad at all.

I sat with my grand niece, Fiona, during the meal and we caught up on what music we were currently listening too. What songs we had heard that really made an impression. Fiona is a very good musician, playing several different instruments but leaning toward Violin as her favorite. Last month, she attended a church conference at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and was asked to play and sing. Fiona shared a video of her song, Come Thou Fount Of Every Blessing. I knew she could play the violin but I had no idea of the power of her voice. She was incredible! Her voice has a (I know this may sound strange to some) Celtic quality to it. I think I may have been sitting with someone who will be taken to places through her music that she may not even dream is possible. God's richest blessing on my grand niece.

As the days count down to Christmas, I want to share a verse that means a lot to me.
I John 1:5 - And this is the message we have from Him and announce to you, that God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.  I like that. "In Him there is no darkness." If I remain in Christ and Christ remain in me....then I will walk in light. In other words, I will be made aware of anything the enemy is tyring to do to me or through me. I will be aware of any attitudes and wrong motives that come up in my decisions. If you look around during this time of year, it's all about the lights. We have festival of lights and Christmas light shows and trees with colored lights every where you look. They represent the power and presence of Christ. The lights remind us of how little power darkness actually has when light is introduced. Light pushes the darkness away and brings comfort. Such is Christ. Darkness flees at not only his presence but at the very mention of His name. Jesus, name above all names.
During this holiday season, I pray that the light and presence of Jesus would cover each of you and your families.
Thank you again for stopping by Greene Street Letters.
Merry Christmas from the Bynum's.
mb

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...