Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas

Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign; Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a sons, and she will call His name Immanuel.

Isaiah 9:6
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us: and the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

As the hours count down to Christmas, I want to thank all of you who stop by here to read the postings. I pray that you find something that might encourage you or give you strength. Above all, I pray that you find Jesus (not that He is missing) and the change that He can bring to life.

Tonight, I will take a walk. It is a tradition that started many years ago when my sons were little boys. After every one was in bed and the presents were under the tree, I would take a short walk in the neighborhood. Sometimes the weather would only allow me to walk to the end of my driveway but I took the walk just the same. Christmas Eve is the quietest night of the year. Standing there in the street, lit by the trees and lights from the various homes up and down the neighborhood, there is silence. No traffic.........No one stirring.....No noise.........just silence. It is as though God the Father has demanded reverence and quiet on this the prelude to the birth of the Christ child. Even the demons are silenced and for this brief moment, Satan himself cowers because he is reminded of the significance of this night. It is my most favorite time.

I am flooded with memories of Christmas past.
Growing up in Gallant, Alabama, the church was central to the community so Christmas events were important. We always had music and suppers and a reading of the Christmas story, bringing together all of the church family. There in that small country church, I was nurtured and fed the Word of God. I am grateful to men such as Reverend Lewis Wood, Reverend D.E. Hendrix and Reverend Don Gentry for the leadership they provided in our church.

I remember one particular Christmas when my brother received a genuine RCA Stereo Hi-fi record player. That was big stuff for back in the '50's. My dad took the speaker and put it in the window, putting Bobby Darrin's Mack the Knife on the turntable and cranking that bad boy up on about 10. 3 a.m. and all you can hear up and down the valley is  "Oh that shark bite..has such teeth dear..and he keeps them outta sight!" There was my day standing in the front yard, directing an unseen orchestra as the music blared out into the Stratosphere. Lights began to come on all over the community. I guess folks didn't know whether Jesus was coming back or we had been invaded by the Russians. I miss my dad. I think of him a lot during the year, but most of all during Christmas time.

My mom loved Christmas.
To her, Christmas was a happening. Something to be organized and kept on schedule so everyone could enjoy it whether they wanted to or not. Presents would be passed out and we would sit there as one person opened up their loot. This went around the room until Mom was the last one. Needless to say it took a great deal of time to accomplish this feat. In fact one of my most memorable spanking came one Christmas after I had finished opening my presents, I took a piece of paper and pen and began writing on it. Mom stopped the festivities and ask me why I wasn't enjoying others opening their presents since everyone had paid attention while I opened mine. I wryly told my Mother that since it took so long to finish off this ritual, I was starting on my Christmas list for next year so I'd get it in on time.  "WHACK!!!!!" I don't know why I did such things. I knew what the outcome would be. It was like watching a train wreck and not being able to do anything about it. I don't want to give you the wrong impression. I have written this in a sense of fun. I love my Mom and she did love Christmas. If ever there was a giving person, it was my Mom.

So it's after 10 a.m.
I will take my Mother-in-law to Candle light service tonight at Christ Central United Methodist Church. I will see old friends and there will be many greetings of "Merry Christmas!" We will come home and have supper and probably settle in to watch "It's A Wonderful Life." I am a very full and satisfied man today. God has been more than gracious to me and I humbly acknowledge Him as my provision.
I wish to you a Merry Christmas!
MB

No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...