Monday, February 13, 2012

Choose The Light!


II Samuel 22:29
For You are my lamp, O LORD. The LORD shall enlighten my darkness.

Funny how when I try to run my own life or make decisions without consulting God, I don't realize how little spiritual light I actually possess. It is only when my decisions have gone South and I am surrounded by destruction that I cry out, "Oh God! I am in darkness." My flesh keeps me from actually believing that I am walking in dark places. After all, I'm in charge! I would never lead myself purposely into dark, dangerous places with my decisions. Guess what? That is what happens.

Psalm 18:28
For you will light my lamp. The LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.

Only God possesses the ability to be both "lamp" and "light".
Only God can illuminate my mind, my heart and my spirit and allow me to "see" Him and follow Him.
It's all part of the Step #3  in the 12 Steps.
"We made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him."
God shows me the right direction and decisions that I should take. It is up to me to recognize the value in following God. That by doing so, I am placing myself in the best possible place to receive God's blessings. Although there are times we might feel out of control (with respect to our addictions) we can choose to set our heart toward God.

Deuteronomy 30:20
Choose to love the LORD your God and to obey Him and commit yourself to Him, for He is your life. Then you will live long in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

I have spent my past in chasing the sin appetite within me. I gave it everything it desired, holding back nothing. I lied. I stole money. I cheated people. Whatever it took to feed the appetite, I did. I was in total spiritual darkness cut off from God.

Then God said, "Let there be light."
I began to see myself in ways I never had before. Through His Holy Spirit, I came to understand that I was not only under the influence of drugs and alcohol, I was under the influence of sin. In bondage by the power of sin. Headed toward death due to the penalty of sin. Living a life directed by the presence of sin. Now the real-deal-God-of-the-Universe was talking to me, through my heart, telling me that He alone possessed the power to free me from every vestige of sin in my life. All I had to do was be saved. How cool was that?

John 1:12-13
Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

Why not let God light your candle today?
God on you.....
mb



No comments:

THE REALITY OF THE NAME OF GOD

Listening to Keith Green this morning as he sings "How Majestic Is Your Name". I had to  ask myself, "Do I truly unerstnd the...